Pump Is Causing Electrical Shock In Pool

tv104

Just installed a fiberglass pool myself. I have grounded the pool and pump by the instruction.

When in pool and pump is running if I touch the concrete outside the pool I get a small

electrical shock. If pump is off it does not do it. Anyone know what could be causing this.

Just installed a fiberglass pool myself. I have grounded the pool and pump by the instruction.

When in pool and pump is running if I touch the concrete outside the pool I get a small

electrical shock. If pump is off it does not do it. Anyone know what could be causing this.

I'd recheck my pump bonding and grounding. Did the wiring get knicked underground?Is the circuit GFI? Are the conductors sizes correct?Current follows the least path of resistance. If there is excessive voltage in the circuit (bad transformer) like a previous poster had it can actually arc undergoround if exposed or in close proximity to ground metals etc. Do you have access to a Megger? Check connections first but if they're buried!! Is it close enough to run a test wire? Basically run a homerun fron C/B to pump,if the problem stops,it's in the wire run. BTW,I am not a licensed electrician.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd recheck my pump bonding and grounding. Did the wiring get knicked underground?Is the circuit GFI? Are the conductors sizes correct?Current follows the least path of resistance. If there is excessive voltage in the circuit (bad transformer) like a previous poster had it can actually arc undergoround if exposed or in close proximity to ground metals etc. Do you have access to a Megger? Check connections first but if they're buried!! Is it close enough to run a test wire? Basically run a homerun fron C/B to pump,if the problem stops,it's in the wire run. BTW,I am not a licensed electrician.

I know that our local code required a "redundant ground" all the way around the pool by using wire grid (known as weld wire fabric) that is also bonded to the pool and all pool equipment prior to pouring concrete. Do you have such a grounding system?

NEC code requres equi-pontential grid. All fixtures, Ladders, Rails, diving boards etc. as well as all pool equipment.. pumps, heaters etc be bonded to the grid. This grid is SEPERATE from the equipment ground. Pumps are required to be on a dedicated GFIC main panel breaker.

With fiberglass pools a copper grid is installed under the apron and everything is grounded to it including any metal fencing.

I would recommend you have a licensed electrician check this out. Electrical faults can be faltal!

dave