New Tub Chem Question

I just got my new tub, about 350 gallons and I love it but I'm having trouble balnacing the chemicals. On a test strip my PH is hot pink, on an aqua chem test kit, instead of a orange to red range it turns purple!! Does this indicate off the scale hi or what? I assumed it was hi and have put in a couple of ounces of spa time ph down and it never moves from that reading. The bottle indicates 2 ounces I think on the Hi range for 1000gallons and I have done this twice..I guess I just need to know I'm going in the right direction.

I have an ozinator and use bromine tablets. That is indicating hi too now, I probably over did that but I can monitor and adjust that but why am I getting a color that isn't on the scale with PH?

(TA is very HI)

Thanks ahaed of time

Since TA is high, I'd assume your pH is off the scale in the alkaline direction (high). I'd add spa down (dry acid) until the TA is in range or the pH is in range whichever comes first... but the TA reading should give you some idea of how much to add. Aerating it (leaving the jets on) will also bring pH down.

You might want to take a water sample to a pool store and get a professional cross check.

It can take a while for the water to respond to a large addition of chemicals, I'd wait a day before making further adjustments.

Enjoy!

Since TA is high, I'd assume your pH is off the scale in the alkaline direction (high). I'd add spa down (dry acid) until the TA is in range or the pH is in range whichever comes first... but the TA reading should give you some idea of how much to add. Aerating it (leaving the jets on) will also bring pH down.

You might want to take a water sample to a pool store and get a professional cross check.

It can take a while for the water to respond to a large addition of chemicals, I'd wait a day before making further adjustments.

Enjoy!

I did not see in the post that the TA was high, I see that the PH is very high. Add PH down in 2 ounce or less amounts at a time. Do not test right away. Wait a few hours. This will also lower the TA if that is high.

The high bromine will drop down on its own, readjust your feeder so you are not feeding as much into the tub after you get your PH in check.

I will have to disagree with whoneedsavacation, adding air to the tub INCREASES PH. Turn off air controls to the tub.

As said, I would also bring a sample to a pool store to get it checked. Test strips can go bad from the least little thing such as heat, moisture, fingers touching the pads.

I did not see in the post that the TA was high, I see that the PH is very high.

The OP did state that parenthetically at the bottom of the post.

I will have to disagree with whoneedsavacation, adding air to the tub INCREASES PH. Turn off air controls to the tub.

HHT is correct, I put my brain in backwards yesterday.