Low Ta And Ph-baking Soda Not Helping So Far

Hello all,

Hubby is out of town which puts me in charge of the pool. usually our water is pretty easy to keep adjusted but I am having a hard time for almost 2 weeks now. My chlorine is a teeny bit low but ok. My TA and PH are extremely, extremely low. My pool company person told me to add baking soda which I did. I have gradually added about 12 pounds of baking soda over the last 10 days and nothing has changed. My steps are starting to get a brown ring at the top and my usually white main drain is also starting to look brown tinted. My pool is inground, about 24,000 gallons. Water is crystal clear-no algae or slickness that I can tell. I have never had to be a chemist when it came to the pool so I am lost. Any help at all will be appreciated!

Shannon

If your pH were below 6 and your TA below 10, then 12 pounds of baking soda in 24,000 gallons would not be enough. If your pH is still low -- yellow so at the lowest your test kit measures -- then you should probably use some pH Up (sodium carbonate) product which is also the same as Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (careful: not the laundry detergent). It will raise both pH and TA.