Spa Is Here...

Ep7735

Just filled up the spa with water, and it is warming up right now. My question - add the sodium bromide, bromine feeder, and non-chlorine shock now or wait 12 hrs and then add? Also, do I check the pH, alk, calcium before or after I add the bromine chemicals. Thanks,

Michelle

Just filled up the spa with water, and it is warming up right now. My question - add the sodium bromide, bromine feeder, and non-chlorine shock now or wait 12 hrs and then add? Also, do I check the pH, alk, calcium before or after I add the bromine chemicals. Thanks,

Michelle

sorry, i couldnt wait in the house while my hot tub was outside with water in it. i added the sodium bromide, bromine feeder, and non-chlorine shock...in that order, left the jets on for a lil bit. tomorrow ill check ph and all that. if something i just did was a bad thing to do, please let me know how i can fix it. lol. thanks!

I don't usually shock until after I've used it.

You might, next time, want to add a metal sequestrant when you start up. I normally do that first, then the sodium bromide and floater, then I adjust the calcium level (our water is very soft). Then it's just my normal maintenance routine.

You have to shock to activate the bromide that you put in for start up.

Right. I'm just assuming that I haven't introduced anything that needs to be sanitized until I've used it -- but I'm usually in there as soon as it's up to temperature, anyway.

You have to shock to activate the bromide that you put in for start up.

Right. I'm just assuming that I haven't introduced anything that needs to be sanitized until I've used it -- but I'm usually in there as soon as it's up to temperature, anyway.

You want the sanitizer working as soon as you get in, your body is what brings in the germs and they grow rapidly, some in minutes. Fecal matter and urea are the big ones. I don't want to soak for 20 minutes with someones elses that has not been sanitized, or my own for that matter. Plus when you do a water change there is 15 to 30 gallons of water left in the lines that may have germs that you introduced to your new water. Safer to never use unsanitized water.