Circ Pump & Ozone Are Shutting Off

David66

Hi,

I've had my D1 Nautilus for about a year. I've noticed lately that during the hotter summer days, I'll get a message saying "spa cooling. Circ pump and ozone are off" or something to that effect. I don't remember this happening last summer, but maybe it did (I was a newbie at that point :)

Is there anything to worry about sanitation-wise? I wouldn't think it would be good if they stayed off all day during a hot summer day. The only way I can snap it out of this mode is to turn on the jets for awhile. I have the temp set at 100, and when the message comes on it is usually around 102.

Thanks,

David

While I am not familar with your particular spa...mine is a Sundance Optima...my spa does the same thing when the water temperature climbs 2 degrees or more above the setpoint. During the summer months this not uncommon. So far, I have never noticed any problems during this mode of operation. Though I have only owned the spa for 11 months.

Many on this forum have tons more experience than me...maybe some will chime in with better input.

Its doing what it is suppose to do. 2 -3 degrees over the set temp shuts the spa down. If you are worried about water chemistry you can partially drain some water, adding cool water to get the temp down to what you have it set for so the circ will come back on. It may creep back up over a few days if it is hot and sunny out. You can also try opening the cover at night. I would suggest covering the spa with a spa blanket or light piece of plastic to keep debris out. This may help cool it off also. You could also take and open the panel of the tub by the control system to let it vent out. I would put it back on if using the tub or raining out though.

My tub does this also, I have a Clearwater. It shows how well insulated these higher end tubs are. My heat has not come on for about 3 weeks now and I just drain some water off and add fresh to cool it down when the cir pump stops. If I don't it does not filter enough for the nightly use of the tub.

Depending upon how much I drained and replaced with cooler water, I don't think it would take too awful long for it to creep back up. We have consistently hot weather outside and it seems like the circ pump and ozone are almost always off.

We don't use it that much this time of year, so I don't know how concerned about it I should be. I guess I don't understand why these two items, especially the ozone would shut off. Wouldn't it be good to circulate the water if it's getting too hot? And, why would the ozone ever shut off?

When I turn the jets on, they both come back on, even before the temp lowers back down to what I have it set at. I have the filter cycle set to cycle 4 times a day, the maximum. Hopefully that will be enough to keep the water chemistry OK.

Thanks,

David

Its doing what it is suppose to do. 2 -3 degrees over the set temp shuts the spa down. If you are worried about water chemistry you can partially drain some water, adding cool water to get the temp down to what you have it set for so the circ will come back on. It may creep back up over a few days if it is hot and sunny out. You can also try opening the cover at night. I would suggest covering the spa with a spa blanket or light piece of plastic to keep debris out. This may help cool it off also. You could also take and open the panel of the tub by the control system to let it vent out. I would put it back on if using the tub or raining out though.

My tub does this also, I have a Clearwater. It shows how well insulated these higher end tubs are. My heat has not come on for about 3 weeks now and I just drain some water off and add fresh to cool it down when the cir pump stops. If I don't it does not filter enough for the nightly use of the tub.

Your ozone runs off the circulation pump, thats why it is also shutting down. How long of a cycle do you run when you have it come on 4 times a day. This will add to the heat creep if it is cycling for extended periods. If you are not using it much, you can have it cycle for less time than normal.

You are right, it is very difficult to keep the temp down, mine has been an ongoing issue. What I have been doing now is opening the cover up at night when it is cooler, but leaving the spa blanket down so i don't get dust ect in the water. This has been keeping the tub down to about 99.

I'll have to check, but I think I have it going for 30 minutes, 4 times a day.

What would you recommend? A couple times a day? If I do it a couple times a day, then one of those will fall when the temperature should be cooler than the heat of the day.

Thanks,

David

Your ozone runs off the circulation pump, thats why it is also shutting down. How long of a cycle do you run when you have it come on 4 times a day. This will add to the heat creep if it is cycling for extended periods. If you are not using it much, you can have it cycle for less time than normal.

You are right, it is very difficult to keep the temp down, mine has been an ongoing issue. What I have been doing now is opening the cover up at night when it is cooler, but leaving the spa blanket down so i don't get dust ect in the water. This has been keeping the tub down to about 99.

I would not go less than 2 hours total time filtration, but maybe if you try eliminating one of the day cycles and adding to a night cycle that may help. This way the pump is running during the cooler parts of the day and wont heat up as much.

It has been a hard year for heat creep, even here in the Northeast, but it won't last long, I just remind myself that having that much heat creep shows to how well the tub is insulated and how little heat we are losing in the winter months!