Water Test Kits For Dummies...

Acrowell

We've had a service taking care of our spa since we bought it but, since they've added a surcharge for their gas expenses to their already-high monthly bill, I'm going to try to figure out how to maintain it myself.

My husband went out and bought a fancy water test kit, but I can't even begin to figure out how to use it. Surely, there must be a simple, uncomplicated kit out there. Any recommendations?

Wow! I thought it was just me!

Since there've been so many views of my post and not one single answer, I guess I've got to assume that I'm not the only one having trouble with the "do-it-yourself" kits...

I have a Taylor K-2005 test kit that can be used for chlorine or bromine. I find it accurate and simple to use. Along with chlorine and bromine, it tests pH with a base and acid demand reagent, TA, calcium hardness and CYA. The booklet that comes with it gives great instructions and a good understanding of water chemistry. IMO, you are better off being your own chemist with a good kit than relying on someone else. There is a learning curve, though.

I also use the Taylor test kit, although mine is the K-2106 designed specifically for Bromine. It seems a little intimidating at first. But, you basically take a water sample from your spa and count the number drops you add from the regent bottle until the color of the water changes. After using it a couple of times it is actually quite simple.

Also, I use a computer program that I got on-line for $25.00. I simply input the numbers from the water test and it will tell me how much of what chemical to add. It took a little time to set-up the detailed information about what I was using. But, after using it a few times it has become rather simple too.

At first, I was overwhelmed with the water care. But, with the Taylor test kit, the computer program and the folks on this forum, I felt fairly comfortable with doing my own water care after a few months…as Tony mentioned, there is a learning curve. Be prepared for it, and patient with it, and you will get the hang of it.

• 1 month later...

What is the difference between the kits for bromine and chlorine?

I have the Taylor K-2006 which I believe can be used for both bromine and chorine but the instructions on the inside of the lid only detail measuring Chlorine? The booklet mentions bromine but also doesn't list instructions.