Used Master Spa Vs Used Hot Spring

Ep7735

okay, i've been looking for a few days and think that going with a used hot tub from a reputable brand may be the best bet for my budget.

in my area...there is a MASTER SPA LS-700 from 2004 for 4400 (kept in a sunroom)

and there is a hot spring sovereign for 4995. "excellent condition"

Which do you think I'd have less problems with, and would be cheaper to get repair if I did have problems with them?

okay, i've been looking for a few days and think that going with a used hot tub from a reputable brand may be the best bet for my budget.

in my area...there is a MASTER SPA LS-700 from 2004 for 4400 (kept in a sunroom)

and there is a hot spring sovereign for 4995. "excellent condition"

Which do you think I'd have less problems with, and would be cheaper to get repair if I did have problems with them?

If you're not doing the work neither will be "cheap" to have someone fix them. What I'd be more concerned with is which is less apt to need a repairman and in general I'd stick with the Hot Spring easily over the Master.

However, the key to any used spa is to see it in operation. Whether it was in a sunroom or whether they say its in "great condition" I would advise you to NOT buy any used spa that doesn't have water in it so you can turn on pumps/jets and see that it is dry around the spa and in the equipment compartment.

thank you for the quick reply. they both are within 10 minutes of my house, and the pictures show them with water in them ...I will call and set a time to go look at each. if there is anything else you think I need to know or ask, I welcome all comments.

thanks,

thank you for the quick reply. they both are within 10 minutes of my house, and the pictures show them with water in them ...I will call and set a time to go look at each. if there is anything else you think I need to know or ask, I welcome all comments.

thanks,

Here’s an idea. If you plan to hire a spa repair place to have work done in the future as needed I'd do the following; I'd call an independent spa repair person in your area and ask them if they work on either and which is recommended (since they're not selling they should be able to give you an independent expereienced opinion).

Secondly, I'd also see if there is a dealer nearby in case you use them for repair work and/or sometimes you may want to stop in to ask for advice, order parts yourself (you won’t need a repair person for everything necessarily) etc.

Here are the manufacturer websites if you want to see if you have a nearby dealer (usually you can simply enter your zip code and it’ll show you who is local to you).

http://www.hotspring.com/index_spas_hot_spring.html

http://www.masterspas.com/

great ideas. thanks...stuff like that seems like common sense, but it really isn't to people like me.

i called the master spas dealer and he said that once i get the name of the person who owns the master spa, he can look up how often it has been serviced for me.

i've tried calling a few of the spa repair services here, and they're closed - but i will definitely call them tomorrow. appreciate it,

michelle

just an update..

today i checked out both the master spa and the hot spring. i loved the master spa. the guy said he bought it in 2004 and has rarely used it. i had just came from the dealer, the same one guy said he got it from, and the dealer looked it up for me and said that the spa was originally placed in a sunroom and that it has never had any warrantee work. looking at the thing, it was beautiful. we played with the jets for a while and the light...and it really looked like it was brand new. we went home, and wanted to call him and buy it for the offered 4400 including the price for the dealer to get it out of the sunroom and take it to my house. then we got a call back from the hot springs guy - we went over and looked at it...it definitely was not in the "excellent condition" as described. its shell had stains on it, and it stunk really badly. it looked like it was from the late 90s, although he claimed it was a 2004. as of right now, i really want to call and buy the master spa - it was really what i consider 'new' condition. however, there is now a "marquis destiny splash" tub listed in the paper for $3,000. I called and left a message. I can find the "marquis destiny" but am unsure what the 'splash' part of the model name is. i'll probably go look at it tomorrow before we call back master spa guy.

very exciting times, i really don't want this to turn out like my last spa experience.

michelle

Update #2

we've looked at lots of other hot tubs and have not found one we liked better than the used master spa. the owners just accepted our offer of $4250 and agreed to call the dealer and arrange for the spa to be moved to our house. It isn't completely official yet, because they told us the news on our answering machine and we've been playing phone tag. i feel as though we're making the right decision.

the hot tub came today :) :) i'm waiting for my husband to get home so he can plug her up and fill her up. just wanted to say thanks to everyone and to spatech for the help in making my decision. i know you don't like master spas, but you gave sound advice. reading up on the possible poor insulation (and ways to fix it) and the ecopur filters vs cheaper-in-price filters was very educational. this message board has definitely educated me. i feel as though i made an informed purchase. too bad i couldn't have found this board sooner. thanks again.

michelle

the hot tub came today :) :) i'm waiting for my husband to get home so he can plug her up and fill her up. just wanted to say thanks to everyone and to spatech for the help in making my decision. i know you don't like master spas, but you gave sound advice. reading up on the possible poor insulation (and ways to fix it) and the ecopur filters vs cheaper-in-price filters was very educational. this message board has definitely educated me. i feel as though i made an informed purchase. too bad i couldn't have found this board sooner. thanks again.

michelle

Good luck. You can often get good value form a used spa and it sounds like you've found one in good condition. It'll help a lot having the local dealer as well.