Tips, Suggestions Prep For Winterization For Do It Yourself Installation

I'm in the process of planning, installing a Fiberglass swimming pool.

I'm seeking suggestions, tips, etc, on what might be good ideas to aid winterizing the pool in the fall.

Like are there additional valves, drains, oulets in the plumbing that would aid in closing a pool/

I would like to incorporate any good ideas during the install.

Looking forward to see if there are any ideas out there.

Thanks in advance.

Sharrky

I'm seeking suggestions, tips, etc, on what might be good ideas to aid winterizing the pool in the fall.

Like are there additional valves, drains, oulets in the plumbing that would aid in closing a pool/

Thanks in advance.

Sharrky

This is a little hard to explain, so please ask questions.

Get the builder to plumb the skimmer and the bottom drain/suction seperate to the pump. At the pump there will be two pipes now. Install a Tee. run the two parts pf tee facing one another to a 3 port valve then to the pump. Now on top of the tees glue what is called a female adapter and put a threaded plug in the other end of the adapter. This will aid in blowing the lines out for winter. For the skimmer get a blow out extension ( 1 with a hole and cap on the top) This will let you keep the water level up and still blow out the skimmer line. and adding antifreeze. For the bottom drain you can't add antifreeze because of trying to air lock it.

The return lines do the same thing with tees before they go in the ground. Hope this helps

Thanks in advance.

Sharrky

Not all pools have a center bottom drain but if yours does, the tees are an excellent idea. But the "dig" is even more important.

Assuming your new pool will have a center bottom drain, which all well manufactured full size pool have, you should dig a 4'x4'x4' pit directly under the bottom drain. Fill the pit with stone, and run a pvc pipe from the center of the pit (2'down and 2' in) under the pool and bring it up near the pump and filter. The further from the pool, the better. It should rise about a foot above the slab and be capped.

This pvc will enable you to remove the ground water under the pool when the pool must be emptied. All fiberglass pools will need to be emptied at some point in time. It is always safer to remove the ground water first, instead of waiting until the pool is empty and removing the relief valve.

Do not install a "hydrostatic" relief valve under any condition. It will open and close at first, but will quickly get stuck, especially if there is no "french drain" under the pool.

Good luck with your new pool. -Bill Nash

This is a little hard to explain, so please ask questions.

Get the builder to plumb the skimmer and the bottom drain/suction seperate to the pump. At the pump there will be two pipes now. Install a Tee. run the two parts pf tee facing one another to a 3 port valve then to the pump. Now on top of the tees glue what is called a female adapter and put a threaded plug in the other end of the adapter. This will aid in blowing the lines out for winter. For the skimmer get a blow out extension ( 1 with a hole and cap on the top) This will let you keep the water level up and still blow out the skimmer line. and adding antifreeze. For the bottom drain you can't add antifreeze because of trying to air lock it.

The return lines do the same thing with tees before they go in the ground. Hope this helps

Thanks everyone so far.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not totaly clear on your explanation. I'm not sure if I have one or two drains/returns. I do not think there is on center bottom drain. I'm doing a self install fiberglass viking pool.

Are you saying to install a tee on both lines from skimmer and drain? What do you mean by "two parts of tee facing one another to a 3 port valve then to the pump". I'm new to the forum, is there a way

to attach documents? or a way to diagram what your saying?