Replacing Pool Steps

TonyK

I need to replace my 4'x8' fiberglass pool steps due to cracking. Has anyone replaced steps that can offer some advice? Besides removing a portion of the concrete decking and backfill (which doesn't sound too bad), what about the concrete collar? I don't want to chip that out if at all possible. I installed this pool myself, so I know how it was put in. I'm just not sure what pitfalls I might encounter trying to get a new step unit to fit in the existing hole, or even where to purchase new steps. When I installed this pool 16 years ago, I didn't plan on ever replacing the steps. Is it time to just buy a new home and start over?

I shouldn't think excavation and removal would pose any structural problems, so long as you take precautions. I'd recommend drilling holes in the sawn edges of the bond beam/footing at the exterior base of the walls and inserting rebar before repouring. Also might try backfilling the cavity behind the new steps w/ concrete instead of 3/4 limestone. Our builder backfilled our step section w/ concrete and I know at least one other person whose builder did the same (definitely ensures solid steps - cracking may me due to flexing). May also want to remove enough backfill to expose 2-3 horizontal feet of the bond beam on either side of the steps and add a few feet of concrete for more strength (although that will mean removing a little more of your deck around the steps). You have to take care to fill all the voids beneath the stairs, and (again) use rebar to tie the new pour into the existing bond beam.

Finally - as you noted - bonding is critical so be sure to find all the edges of the bond wire and splice/connect before pouring the new deck section.

Oh, a final note - order a concrete mix w/ fiber - much stronger than without.

p.s. FYI, you'll almost certainly need a new liner.

It shouldnt be too much issue to replace since you know how they were installed. Make sure u give yourself as much room to work with as you can. I would look for someone who sells Quaker Steps IMO they are one of the best. They have a great under support system.

Here's the link to see what im talking about http://www.quakerplastic.com/thermoplastic-ldbs.html

The need to replace fiberglass steps in a vinyl liner pool is a rare occurence. Barring an earthquake, volcanic ereption, or some other natural disaster, fiberglass steps will last longer than any vinyl liner pool ever built.

I would suggest you repair and/or refinish the steps instead. If's fast, relatively easy, and best of all, inexpensive. Hundreds of pool owners have already saved millions of dollars since 2001. Check this link for more information: -Bill Nash

The cracking in my case is not due to a structural problem. It is the result of blistering of the fiberglass due to hydrolysis. It is more common in fiberglass boat hulls, but also occurs in any fiberglass that is continually submerged in water (for example, my fiberglass pool steps). Over time, the fiberglass actually absorbs water due to some complex chemical reaction and forms blisters that eventually crack. That's exactly what I have - the blisters and cracking are only present below the water level. Here is a brief explanation from a material's website:

The first requirement for hydrolysis is water absorption. A dry sailed boat or an intermittently used tank will probably not fail by hydrolysis. A swimming pool that is always filled, a yacht that is always afloat, or a tank that is usually filled are candidates for eventual failure. Because elevated temperatures accelerate the hydrolysis reaction, both delamination and blistering are more widespread in southern climes. A tank holding warm water is especially at risk.

I don't know what their definition of "warm" is, but we do live in the South and sometimes have trouble keeping the water cool enough on hot days in late summer. I prefer to get some new steps not made of fiberglass. I saw the Quaker steps online, but have not been able to find any other brand, or general information on steps. Does anyone know of some dealers that sell 4'x8' steps that could replace what I currently have? Thanks.