Pump Seal

Hi All,

I am frustrated first time pool owner. In last month I have spent more money on this pool than I could have ever imagined spending in my entire life on swimming.

First important question, It seems like there is a water leakage when the pump runs near the pump. How do I fix it? I heard some one say I have to change the seal, if yes, how do I do it?

Also, it seems like there are few tiles coming off from the top row (it is a plastered pool with a tiled border near top). How do I fix those?

I asked a pool guy to come and look at the pool loosing water last week, he came and said he was doing pressure testing on the lines and charged me $1500 just for testing. I found out from other people later that it should not have cost more than $300-400. true? I feel like real idiot.

If I don't get this fixed in the weekend, ordering two trucks of sand to fill it in on Monday...

Please advise...appreciate your help

In all honesty its faster and easier for you to take your pump into pool store with a repair division. In some cases trying to get the impeller off can be a PIA or the impeller is rusted on and you have to bust it off. If you call a repair guy that doesnt carry the proper seal or a spare impeller for your pump then your going to pay labor time for them to drive to their shop and back to your house. When in reality its a 20 min job instore for experienced guys. That is my professional opinion since it sounds like the service guys in your area arent up to par.

I asked a pool guy to come and look at the pool loosing water last week, he came and said he was doing pressure testing on the lines and charged me $1500 just for testing. I found out from other people later that it should not have cost more than $300-400. true? I feel like real idiot.

Find a new pool company!!!!!!!! We charge $170 to pressure test a pool ( if a diver is needed to plug the bottom drain then its more)

Find a new pool company!!!!!!!! We charge $170 to pressure test a pool ( if a diver is needed to plug the bottom drain then its more)

Yes, I am never calling that guy again. I got ripped..just bad mistake on my part to not confirm the price upfront..

Dear Pool Problems!

I feel for you - there are quite a few things that can go wrong with a pool.

If your pump is leaking water it is likely to be the seal. You should get it fixed immediately - that is our rule, because anything to do with leaking water and electricity can be dangerous. If you are unsure about what you are doing, you should get it repaired by a qualified person - i.e. your pump repairer should be a qualified electrician, and have a proper test bench where he can set your pump up and test it.

If you go to your local pool shop, they should also have some adhesive to put the tiles back on. Basically it has to be one which can dry and stick even when the surface is wet. We have some amazing silicone in our store that applies and dries under water.

Leaks - can't help you much there - they are a diagnostic thing and can be expensive. Silly question from me - how much water are you losing out your pump? i.e. is this the problem??

Leak detection is a process of elimination. Since you will need to take your pump off for repair, let the water level drop, and then see where it stops. ie. if it stops at the skimmer box, then it is a leak in the skimmer or the pipework. If it stops at a pool light, theres your culprit, if it keeps going - it's your main drain...

Isolating the problem saves time and money, and skips expensive pressure tests if they are not needed!

Hope this helps, if not so much now - at least for the future!

http://www.SwimIn.com.au

Dear Pool Problems!

I feel for you - there are quite a few things that can go wrong with a pool.

If your pump is leaking water it is likely to be the seal. You should get it fixed immediately - that is our rule, because anything to do with leaking water and electricity can be dangerous. If you are unsure about what you are doing, you should get it repaired by a qualified person - i.e. your pump repairer should be a qualified electrician, and have a proper test bench where he can set your pump up and test it.

If you go to your local pool shop, they should also have some adhesive to put the tiles back on. Basically it has to be one which can dry and stick even when the surface is wet. We have some amazing silicone in our store that applies and dries under water.

Leaks - can't help you much there - they are a diagnostic thing and can be expensive. Silly question from me - how much water are you losing out your pump? i.e. is this the problem??

Leak detection is a process of elimination. Since you will need to take your pump off for repair, let the water level drop, and then see where it stops. ie. if it stops at the skimmer box, then it is a leak in the skimmer or the pipework. If it stops at a pool light, theres your culprit, if it keeps going - it's your main drain...

Isolating the problem saves time and money, and skips expensive pressure tests if they are not needed!

Hope this helps, if not so much now - at least for the future!

http://www.SwimIn.com.au

Swim-In, Thanks for your detailed reply. Few answers to your points above not in particular order.

My not-so-reliable tester who tested the lines said all main lines are in good condition. One skimmer has little problem but he is saying it is not major and should not cause heavy water leak. My water leak stops right at the skimmer hole. (Bottom of rectangle). Reading your response makes me wonder something with the skimmers is causing it. As far as the leak from the pump, i see a wet patch near the pump and polaris motor. I am planning to take the pump to local store. When I fillup the water, it looses little over an inch a day till it reaches the bottom of the skimmer inlet and while pump is running.

For fixing the tiles, I luckily found some compound which previous owner had left under the deck and it seems like the one to fix the tiles in the water. I am going to use that and see.

Hopefully it gets better soon and we can use the pool. Learned lot of good things from amazing and helpful people here on this forum.

Greg,

I see you are from NJ, where in NJ?

Greg,

I see you are from NJ, where in NJ?

I live at the west end of rt 78 and work at the east end of rt 78 in Union

I live at the west end of rt 78 and work at the east end of rt 78 in Union

Hey Greg...I assume you're near P'burg. I'm in Bethlehem, PA, so I'm probably only 30 minutes away from you.

Who have you been working with to look at your pool and equipment? Most importantly, who ripped you off?