** Help ** - Can't Get Water Clear :(

Olidus

I have had my pool running for about 2 months now. I work with my local pool place with my water samples and do as they tell me to do for treating the pool.

I just can't seem to get my water clear so that I can see the bottom. I am runnig out of things to try, the pool place tell me that my water is balanced as far as PH, FL, Alkalinity. they had my try some clearing adjents like NuBlue with no luck :(

All fingers are starting to point towards my filter, I do backwash, and rinse regulary.

Not sure if anyone can offer any suggestions or not.

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frustrated Olidus~

What are all your readings ie; cl/br ph alk cal tds cya...

2nd)what type of filter do you have and how old is the sand?

Not implying anything but you're sure your filter dial is set to filter and not whirpool/circulate?

I have a sand filter - Not exactly sure of name and manufacture - as I bought the house with all this 4 years ago.

I changed the sand last year - but am now starting to think that there may be an issue with the filter.

Last night I turned the pump off and woke up able to see the bottom of the pool for the 1st time this year.

I then over filled the pool enough to allow me to vaccum to waste. Turned the pool back on for a bit to find that it got cloudy right quick again. Taking a closer look at the water when the pool was shut off again, I could see these small white particles that was causing this to be cloudy.

I took a picutre to see if it would turn out.

This image shows the little white particles.

Water.jpg

Here is a picture of my pump and filter.

Equipment.jpg

This is a picture of the nice blue cloudy pool.

Pool.jpg

Also to note that the pool only has the filter option - no option for a whirlpool that I know of.

Please let me know what the next step should be to resolve this issue.

Thanks again.

Oli~

I would go to your local shop and pick up a skimmer sock for your skimmer this picks up fine particles or a Slime Bag for abovegrounds. Then hook your vacuum up and let it sit stationary. Run it that way for 12 hours. By using the manual vac your are getting the water from the bottom instead the surface water. If you cant find either of the first 2 items then just double layer a nylon stocking over the basket, this should catch the particles. Check the return output and back wash periodically. By not causing turbulance in the pool the particle settle so they should be able to be sucked up in by the vac.

Another product that will work in conjunction but is hard to find is a product called Klear Soc made by perfect logic. This product is a fast dissolving puck that creates a layer on the top of your filter to trap particles of this size and doesnt gum up your sand filter.

If the above method doesnt show great improvement in 12 hours then something is amiss

Thanks Pathfinder,

I went out today and picked up a couple skimmer socks. I have one in and pool is back on. I am going give that vacuum trick a go as well.

Thanks again, will let you know how I get along.

Oli~

Klear Soc eh?

Where would I look for something like that? What exactly does it do?

The Product that my local Pool place have me use is called Nu-Blu. I dialute this with water and pour around the pool. It should clump up all the particles and make it easy to catch in the filter and vacuum.

I just did another treatment of this - this AM.

Oli~

Lose the clarifier!!!! its just going to gum up your sand filter and not be that affective. Clarifiers are for haziness not what you have. Thats why you have blue cloudy water. the worst case if my earlier advice doesnt work is using a Floc agent. The Floc is what will actually bind all of the small particles and have them settle on the bottom.

Here's the link to the product I was talking about http://ps.sanimarc.com/en/our_products/perfect_logic.asp

Pathfinder,

You are a Genius. :)

Yesterday - topped up the pool to as much water as I could put in, added a Floc agent, turned the pool off.

Woke up nice and early this am and Vacuum to waste the hell out of the pool.

Could see the bottom as clear as day btw, the particles all were on the bottom in a light brown cloud like state.

Now just need to get my water level back up - maybe do another vacuum when I get home from work, power the pool back on and get make sure my levels are back to normal.

I really hope this is it - I really can't tell you how frustrating this has been for me, 2 months I have had this pool on. I was really close to throwing in the towl.

I have never had to do this - and I believe I am in my 5th year with this pool. What causes this?

My pool is in a nasty location - it does see more shade then sunlight, and was almost black green when I did open this year.

Oli~

There are many factors that can cause a cloudy pool like pollen, pollution, stuff in your municipal water. You may want to have you pool store check for phosphates as well as make sure you have a weekly shock regimen. When you also top off your water you need to be sure to add a metal sequestering agent.

Good to hear you have made some really good head way. Now you should be able to enjoy your pool for CANADA DAY tomorrow.

If you ever have any questions just hit me with a pm I'll be happy to help you out

• 10 years later...
On 6/30/2008 at 7:54 AM, Olidus said:

Pathfinder,

You are a Genius. :)

Yesterday - topped up the pool to as much water as I could put in, added a Floc agent, turned the pool off.

Woke up nice and early this am and Vacuum to waste the hell out of the pool.

Could see the bottom as clear as day btw, the particles all were on the bottom in a light brown cloud like state.

Now just need to get my water level back up - maybe do another vacuum when I get home from work, power the pool back on and get make sure my levels are back to normal.

I really hope this is it - I really can't tell you how frustrating this has been for me, 2 months I have had this pool on. I was really close to throwing in the towl.

I have never had to do this - and I believe I am in my 5th year with this pool. What causes this?

My pool is in a nasty location - it does see more shade then sunlight, and was almost black green when I did open this year.

Oli~

I had this exact same issue. I followed Pathfinder’s instructions and bamb!! Amazing! Now I am having trouble vacuuming up the floc on the bottom of pool it seems as soon as I try to vacuum the particles break up and pool gets cloudy immediately back to square one.. any ideas or tips on cleaning it up?