Installing Above Ground Pool

I am attemtping to install an above ground pool on my on own and have run into a problem. I hired a grader and we flattened the area by digging into a slope in my backyard -- my yard is actually fairly flat but to dig back into it to get a flat area he had to remove 2-3 feet of dirt. This has created a dropoff of 2-3' when you walk into my backyard, and when he flattened it he angled it back twd my house slightly and to one corner so water has accumulated from the latest rainstorm (3-4"). The water is starting to dry out and I removed most of it with shop vac today. All I wanted to do was flatten an area in my backyard, and now I have a lake. I'm looking for possible solutions/suggestions. The questions I have are:

(1) Since I now have 8" of mud in the area where I wanted to install a pool, what is the best way to get this area properly leveled? Is crushed granite helpful and how is it applied?

(2) In general, if one is on a nominal slope, how can you prevent the area under your pool from eventually being washed away? Do I need to install it on a raised area? Is it important to get the pool in quickly right after area is graded?

(3) If a concrete pad is the best solution, how are metal "strap channels" that are normally buried in dirt affixed to the cement? Are special ones available for installing on concrete?

--

Any help anyone could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would probably start by calling your grader back out and asking him to level the yard. Isn't that what you paid him for to begin with?

Then just make sure that your level area is firmly compacted, evenly.

I don't know how good crushed and compacted granite would feel on your feet under the liner, nor how well the liner might hold up.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to above ground forum and we've owned above ground pool for almost 17 years and amazed at the different thread topics about things we have never encountered before - interesting.

This may sound odd but after our contractor (creative sort) dug out extended depth area and leveling surrounding area he then applied a layer of I think gunite or the type of concrete used to floor in ground vinyl lined pools.

This made our above ground pool floor always smooth yet firm and pleasant so unless this idea is too difficult or expensive we will offer it for consideration. We finally replaced the first above ground "shell" after over 12 years and are in the fourth summer with a second pool "shell" and through the years this firm, hard bottom surface has been great.