Do It Yourself Inground Kits

i am thinking of installing an ingtound pool and have looked at these kits and was wondering if anyone out there would share their experiences as to the installation, good, bad, or indifferent? Any feedback would be appreciated. It seems as tho the cost savings outweigh the few setbacks. thanks

i am thinking of installing an ingtound pool and have looked at these kits and was wondering if anyone out there would share their experiences as to the installation, good, bad, or indifferent? Any feedback would be appreciated. It seems as tho the cost savings outweigh the few setbacks. thanks

Well first of all what type of "kit" are you referring to? I built my own pool from a kit that I bought on ebay. It worked out that I got a great deal because hurricane katrina ruined the pool market in florida and several pool mfg. were trying to move product. Over all I think you can do ok with a kit if you really do your research. For example know ahead of time the components that you want and price them individually. Then you have a point of reference for what stuff should cost.

If you are referring to the fiberglass drop in kits I have not heard very favorable things about them. If you want advice and suggestions you can email me at romansone16@gmail.com and I'd be happy to walk you through my experience and share some things I learned.

I purchased a 20'x40' steel wall, vinyl liner pool kit about 15 years ago and installed it myself. It is a MAJOR do-it-yourself project that requires numerous skills, especially electrical. If you don't properly bond the components (not the same as grounding!) and get the electrical done right, you can create a dangerous situation. But in general, it was a fun and successful project that saved alot of money and was very satisfying. I had an excavator dig the hole per the drawing that came with the kit. I installed the steel wall panels, steps, bracing, poured the concrete collar around the perimeter, installed the fittings and piping, underwater light, accessories, and backfilling. I then paid a skilled person to trowel in the bottom in order to get a good, smooth finish. In the meantime I built a pump house and connected the pump, filter, Polaris, and heater. After installing the liner and filling the pool in November, I continued backfilling around the deck area for about six months to eliminate settling before pouring the concrete deck in May. After installing the deck forms, diving board foundation, and collars for the ladder and handrail, I paid a couple of guys to pour and finish the concrete deck since that is so visible and I'm not skilled at finishing concrete. I really didn't have any problems, but I spent some time reading about how to do it, and did a good bit of planning. Again, if you are a good DIY, it can be a very rewarding project. Good luck!