Pump & Heater Timer Switch

zillafan

I was told by the installer guys that it's a good idea to install a timer on the pump and heater so you don't to remember to turn them off. He added that the timer should have a fireman's switch on it to turn off the heater ahead of the pump. This will allow the heater to cool down a bit before the water pump shuts off. Is this necessary? I'm sure the heater has an overheat shutoff built in. My question is... is it worth spending the extra money for the firemans switch or should I just get the regular timer that shuts off the pump and heater at the same time?

Thanks.

I was told by the installer guys that it's a good idea to install a timer on the pump and heater so you don't to remember to turn them off. He added that the timer should have a fireman's switch on it to turn off the heater ahead of the pump. This will allow the heater to cool down a bit before the water pump shuts off. Is this necessary? I'm sure the heater has an overheat shutoff built in. My question is... is it worth spending the extra money for the firemans switch or should I just get the regular timer that shuts off the pump and heater at the same time?

Thanks.

most heaters come with a firemans switch that lets you connect it a control system or timer. It you get a Intermatic brand timer it has a seperate switch preinstalled in it that you can connect to the heater that will shut down the pump and heater at the same time.

A cool down mode that I know of is only available on auto matic pool controls.

Heaters do have safety device in them to prevent from keep burning if the pump shut off and loses water flow.

Is power actually supplied to the heater through the firemans switch or is it just an open/close switch with no power supplied? 220v is supplied through the timer as power to the pump but does that go through the firemans switch also?

No power is supplied through the firemans switch. The switch is activated by the timer trips and is wired into the wiring in the heater with the other safety switches (if its a millivolt heater) to turn the heater off before the pump. On most new heaters

(5 yrs or newer) its not that important since they don't retain alot of heat after they are turned off. If its a older heater you need it or you will start melting the pipe