Chlorine Tabs & Nature2 For Spa & Pool?

elkhunter

Hi all,

Does anyone know if I can use the chlorine tablets in my spa that I use in my (inground) pool? I've owned the pool for about 6 years and use a nature2 cartridge with 3" chlorine tabs. On the pool, it's easy maintain about a 1-2ppm chlorine level and other than shocking it about every 10 days it's maintainence free.

I've now onwed a spa for a little over a year and tried both bromine and Clear Choice but I'd like to start using nature2 & chlorine there as wel (for many reasons but mainly so I can go back and forth between the two w/o mixing chemicals)l. The spa has been much, much harder to maintain than the pool and I'd like to simplify it.

Anyway my questions are:

1) can I use the same 3" chlorine tabs I use in the pool if I put one in one of the plastic adjustable floating dispensers (assuming I can adjust it to maintain a 1-2 ppm level like in the pool)?

2) can I use the same shock treatment that I do in the pool (whatever costco sells)? It woud be convenient to shock both at once using the same chemical if possible?

3) If I cant do the above, what should I be doing with the nature2 cartridges? I've already bought them but they had little to no information in the box (for the spa -- there was better documentation for the pool).

Thanks in advance.

Anyway my questions are:

1) can I use the same 3" chlorine tabs I use in the pool if I put one in one of the plastic adjustable floating dispensers (assuming I can adjust it to maintain a 1-2 ppm level like in the pool)?

2) can I use the same shock treatment that I do in the pool (whatever costco sells)? It woud be convenient to shock both at once using the same chemical if possible?

3) If I cant do the above, what should I be doing with the nature2 cartridges? I've already bought them but they had little to no information in the box (for the spa -- there was better documentation for the pool).

Thanks in advance.

1. No you can not use the 3 inch chlorine tablets in the hot tub. It is not the correct kind of chlorine, is way to strong and adds ingriedients that are not good for the spa.

2. The shock you use with a nature 2 system is MPS, non chlorine shock. Not sure what you are using for the pool.

3. In the box is a recipe for Nature 2. This is a start. If you use it as a low chlorine recipe, you shock with MPS after each use and dichlor weekly. Some people have better luck with adding dichlor after each use and adding MPS weekly. If you add dichlor after each use you need to watch the CYA level.

Sodium Di chlor is the type of chlorine you use in a spa. Not any of the pool chemicals, you also have to watch the big box stores chemicals, they may be labled as a spa chemical, but is the wrong kind of chlorine. There is also many fillers in big box store chemicals which can cause water issues and is actually not less money since there is a lot less active ingreidient that what pool/spa store carry. Check your ingreidients and the percentages of them.

Thanks in advance.

You should add 1 generous teaspoon of dichlor (spa chlorine) per person after each use. You also shock once per week with MPS and check your Ph/Alk levels.

You may note the instructions for Nature 2 say to add MPS per use whereas I have mentioned using dichlor per use. Using MPS/use is just not a wise idea in my experience and with the any people I’ve helped in this area. IMO it’s just a Marketing game where they are playing on people's unfounded desire to nearly eliminate the use of chlorine wghich would be fine if the MPS/use method was effective. I suggest you resist the urge and stick to the tried and true dichlor/use method. The other choice is to try the MPS/use method and then switch to dichlor/use when you inevitably have water quality issues.