Can You Have An Air Leak And Not Have A Water Leak?

Hello All,

Where is the most obvious place that air can get into the flow system without having a water leak also? I have lots of air in my flow. So much in fact that after a couple of hours of filtering, I start to lose prime. When I hook my vacum up to the skimmer, I lose prime within 10 minutes. I have no water loss. I've checked it numerous times. I recently replaced a .5 hp motor and basket assembly with a new 2 hp motor and assembly and the problem started then. My pool is 36x18 with Hayward pump and filter system. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello All,

Where is the most obvious place that air can get into the flow system without having a water leak also? I have lots of air in my flow. So much in fact that after a couple of hours of filtering, I start to lose prime. When I hook my vacum up to the skimmer, I lose prime within 10 minutes. I have no water loss. I've checked it numerous times. I recently replaced a .5 hp motor and basket assembly with a new 2 hp motor and assembly and the problem started then. My pool is 36x18 with Hayward pump and filter system. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

when you were installing the new pump did you use unions at the pump? If so make sure they are tight and the o-rings are still in place.

If you used pipe which threads into the pump, did use teflon tape on the threads?

When you the pump off does the basket lose water? Sometimes if it kinda quiet you can turn the pump off and listen. You might here the air leaking out.

What type of filter do you have? If you go from a full prime to losing prime within 10 minutes of trying to vacuum I suspect your filter is clogging. If you have a cartridge filter try running it without the filter in. But anyway the easiest way to find an air leak is to turn the pump on and off. When it turns off the water will spit out of the void and thats where the air leak is.