De Alternatives In De Filter

Deb04

I am a Newbie. We are in the process of putting in a pool. The pool guy is pushing a DE filter, but we're concerned about the poisonous nature of the DE. When we backwash, our only choices of where the water goes is:

• On to an area that is very near our well

In to an area very close to wetlands

Over our septic leech field.

The last option seems the best, but I'm concerned about the clorine messing up the septic bacteria.

I've been reading about safe alternatives to DE material that you use in a DE filter. Has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Thanks. Deb04

I am a Newbie. We are in the process of putting in a pool. The pool guy is pushing a DE filter, but we're concerned about the poisonous nature of the DE. When we backwash, our only choices of where the water goes is:
  • On to an area that is very near our well

In to an area very close to wetlands

Over our septic leech field.

The last option seems the best, but I'm concerned about the clorine messing up the septic bacteria.

I've been reading about safe alternatives to DE material that you use in a DE filter. Has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Thanks. Deb04

We sell purifiber product that is a alternative and have mixed results from customers. None say they hated it, so that is good.

Another alternative is a cartrigde filter or sand filter. These two don't use DE and work just as well but can't filter out smaller microns of dirt. You could use a chemical that bind smaller particles together to make it easier for the cart or sand to catch.

we sell sand filter with all our pools, they work just as well, water is sparkling clear and they are easy yo use. If you set on a DE filter, ask the builder about a seperation tank. This tank catches the de powder in like a sock to dispose of later and only lets the clean water backwash out. Pentair even says you can backwash the clean water back into the pool