Electrician Charges?

jimbo

I'm replacing my old spa with a new Jetsetter. I already have a 220 line running out to the spa with a single breaker. The Jetsetter requires a different breaker box (2 breakers) which I am purchasing from the dealer. When I called my electrician to have him hook up the new spa he quoted me a price of "no more than $400". This seems kind of high to me, since all he is doing is swapping out the boxes and running wiring to the new spa - all the work is outside the house, unlike the last time when he had to run a line from the main power box in the basement. Since I am providing the new breaker box, the only materials he will be supplying is the wire from the box to the spa (maybe 15-20 feet).

Does this charge seem reasonable, or should I try to negotiate a lower price? I should mention that this electrician has done quite a bit of work for me in the past, and generally charges much less than the going rate for his services (he's a union electrician who does this extra work on the side).

I'm replacing my old spa with a new Jetsetter. I already have a 220 line running out to the spa with a single breaker. The Jetsetter requires a different breaker box (2 breakers) which I am purchasing from the dealer. When I called my electrician to have him hook up the new spa he quoted me a price of "no more than $400". This seems kind of high to me, since all he is doing is swapping out the boxes and running wiring to the new spa - all the work is outside the house, unlike the last time when he had to run a line from the main power box in the basement. Since I am providing the new breaker box, the only materials he will be supplying is the wire from the box to the spa (maybe 15-20 feet).

Does this charge seem reasonable, or should I try to negotiate a lower price? I should mention that this electrician has done quite a bit of work for me in the past, and generally charges much less than the going rate for his services (he's a union electrician who does this extra work on the side).

I can only tell you that I just had a new line installed for our hot tub. The electrician we had purchased about 80 Feet of # 6 wire, CFGI breaker, and connected the wires to the hot tub and installed the new breaker into the panel. We actually ran the wire ourselves from the panel box to our tub which was about 80 feet.

His charge was $467.00. For all the wire, CFGI, & labor I thought that was pretty reasonable.

I can only tell you that I just had a new line installed for our hot tub. The electrician we had purchased about 80 Feet of # 6 wire, CFGI breaker, and connected the wires to the hot tub and installed the new breaker into the panel. We actually ran the wire ourselves from the panel box to our tub which was about 80 feet.

His charge was $467.00. For all the wire, CFGI, & labor I thought that was pretty reasonable.

The cost of copper has jumped, A LOT, and we have seen that this is causing the costs of hook up to jump. It is a reasonable charge, at least for this area

If you can't tell the difference between red, white, black, and bare copper it sounds about right to me.

If you can discern the difference buy the wire (~$2.50/ft) and conduit ($1/ft) and do it yourself.

The man has a business, a family, mortgage payment, truck payment, and gasoline to pay for before he buys the wire and conduit. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job you don't have a better option. It sounds like he will actually show up.