Newbie-intex Easyset Inflatable Ring-16'-general Chem & Cleaning?

We are just setting up (as we speak) our new Easyset inflatable ring pool – 16’ x 42”. I have some second hand experience with pools and chemicals, vacuuming, etc., but it is with one of the high dollar above ground pools, with a true vacuum, skimmer, etc. that my mom had, so I am totally clueless about care for the inflatable ring pools, so any advice or answers will be greatly appreciated. Here are my questions:

1. When you first set up the pool, and you get the water tested, do you add shock and/or chlorine by dissolving it in a bucket or bowl of water first? Then just pour it in the pool? Same with other chemicals?

2. If we decide to get the Intex Salt Water system in a week or two, do we just hook it up, and start using salt, or do we have to do something (chemical wise) to the pool before we switch?

3. How do you vacuum your pools?? I have seen the Deluxe Pool Maintenance Kits – they say they are for pools 18’ or larger, and Filter Pumps that are 1000 GPH. (ours is the 800 GPH). Have any of you used this kit on a smaller pool with a smaller filter?

4. Do you use the floating chorine tab holders?

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

• 3 weeks later...

We have the 18' pool. I must warn you if you are using well water, be prepared if you have metal in the water. The paper filters that come with these pools are just not strong enough to filter our the metals. We even ran our water thru our water softener and then added the EcoOne pre-filter to the hose. After filling it up, we brought the PH up to 7.6, added metal out, ran the pump for 24 hours and when adding the chlorine via a floater, the water is now green yet again. We can't win.

Also, make sure the ground is VERY level or you will have problems too.

Good luck.

I have a similar size pool and have attached a vacuum hose to the inside of my pool where the outlet pipe is. The hose then connects directly onto a vacuum head which also attaches to any standard pool pole. Works well as long as my filter pump is working at its optimum. Several back short washes usually ensure it does.

I think the only down site with that pool is the pump and filter system....

I'am using the BBB method for 4 years and it worked like a charm..

B=BORAX= raising PH

B=Baking Soda= Alkalinity

B= Bleach,plain ole bleach =chlorine

My first year was a pool nightmare ,spend alot of $$$ at the pool store and got nothing but a pea soup like pool..

Th only time I go in a pool store now is at start up to get some Stabilizer ,but I found it at walmart so this is it for me..

Pool care should not take more time,then having fun in the Pool...