Spa Pad Or Footing

marq

Considering a used Dimension 1 Amore Bay, 4450 lbs wet. This will be part of a deck/patio project so several small concrete projects involved. Is there a preference to supporting this unit? Would a full size solid, 4" thick slab or a parameter style pad say 12-18" wide (middle filled with rock) with 5-6" deep be any better? Seems to me the parameter style would support more and require less concrete?

Any comments welcome!

I really debated, I didn't want to spend a lot of money for something my tub was just going to sit on. But, I figured the investement I was making for the tub, warranted a good foundation. So, I went with a concrete pad. 4" of sand, 4" of concrete & rebar.

Looking at literature from tub manufacturers, they seem to say concrete is best, wood deck is next and 'spa pad' is the next option. I've heard from some, that over time, the spa pad will not be as good of an investment. Maybe its the 4 sections that float and move around.

I've not seen anyone that recommended parameter style pad. I imagine some of the tub is supported in the middle. I'd probably say this option is better than a spa pad and better than just on gravel, but not a top two choice I'd make.

Of course, I'm a novice and am preparing for my first tub. Electrical is complete. Concrete should get poured tomorrow and the tub will be here next week.

I just got mine delivered and using the spa pad. The cost was $299 for the pad. IT sits on top of a sand base. The reality is the tub is not going anywhere. That is for sure. The thing is 1,400lbs dry. Having said that if $$ were not the issue I would have gone for the cement. BUt it was $800.

My wife who is not in to the whole tub concept said the pad is good if we want to get rid of te spa some day we can do it easily.

• 4 months later...

I poured a 9'x10' pad... 6" thick, 3500psi with fiberglass reinforced concrete, and also the 4" wire mesh/rebar.

Cost was $220 for the concrete, abouto $40 for the wire, and pizza and beer for the buddies helping install it.

I floated it on the existing cement patio (6" already) with a plastic barrier, thus if it shifts, it will shift on a flat plane.

Sealed the edge with a bead of silicone to prevent any water getting under and shifting it.

Makes for easy removal, and a solid base.