Chemicals

wineo

I have recently bought a hot tub and have tried both chlorine and bromine for chemicals. Both chemicals irriate my daughters skin and cause harsh red rashes. The water has been tested and the chemicals are balanced. I have heard some people use hydrogen perioide in their tub for chemicals. Does anyone use this method for chemicals and if so what are the pros and cons of this?

I have recently bought a hot tub and have tried both chlorine and bromine for chemicals. Both chemicals irriate my daughters skin and cause harsh red rashes. The water has been tested and the chemicals are balanced. I have heard some people use hydrogen perioide in their tub for chemicals. Does anyone use this method for chemicals and if so what are the pros and cons of this?

Hydrogen peroxide is similar to baqa spa. 1. You can look back through the threads for issues with baqa spa, they are usually not good. 2. Many products do not get along with baqa, causing a mess. 3. Household hydrogen peroxide is a very low concentration. You would have to use a lot.

Have you thought about a mineral stick such as N2 or the frog where you could keep a lower risdual of chlorine or bromine?

Hydrogen peroxide is similar to baqa spa. 1. You can look back through the threads for issues with baqa spa, they are usually not good. 2. Many products do not get along with baqa, causing a mess. 3. Household hydrogen peroxide is a very low concentration. You would have to use a lot.

Have you thought about a mineral stick such as N2 or the frog where you could keep a lower risdual of chlorine or bromine?

I do understand that the "experts" on this site always denigrate BaquaSpa, but FWIW I have been using it for two years now, since I got my Sundance Capri. It has been excellent, terrific, my water is clear, doesn't smell, never irritates my or my wife's skin. I hope that I never have to use chlorine or bromine.

I do understand that the "experts" on this site always denigrate BaquaSpa, but FWIW I have been using it for two years now, since I got my Sundance Capri. It has been excellent, terrific, my water is clear, doesn't smell, never irritates my or my wife's skin. I hope that I never have to use chlorine or bromine.

Baqa has been a great product for some, but it has had its issues in the industry. Artic spas amoung others have been testing Baqa for a couple of years in their R&D departments. They have confirmed that biguanide sanitizers (baqa, soft soak ect) and their associated products are incompatible with some of the plastics used in their products. Most spa companies use the same plastics in their spas.

This is why some companies void the warranty of the spa if Baqa is used. It may be great for lack of smell, no skin irritation, but if it is chewing up the plastics in the spa, is it not worth looking into alternative products?

In no way as an "expert", did I try to denigrate Baqa, just pointing out facts to look at...the whole picture. There are some people that love Baqa, for about 3-5 years, then we hear the horror stories of goop and pinholes in the plumbing, jets falling apart ect. I can not personally say I have seen a tub that has used Baqa for over 5 years that does not have some sort of plastics damage. I am sure they are out there somewhere though, but majority rules IMO.

PrivateShrink,

I don't think the "experts" are just making things up. If you read this thread or this forum I think you will come to the conclusion that Baquacil can have problems in pools. For spas, the water is changed completely but even so there are reports of white water mold and other problems (cloudy water, etc.). Nevertheless, one could use something like Spa System Flush or similar products after every or every other water change to kill any white water mold forming in pipes or other surfaces you can't reach. I can't comment on the concerns about Baquacil directly affecting certain types of spa surfaces as there are fewer direct reports about that, but you've read what people have written.

Since these sorts of things are statistical probabilities and not certainties, you may never experience a problem with Baquacil. This is similar to pool users that have high CYA levels without correspondingly higher FC levels -- they may never see algae because of other factors such as low nitrates or phosphates, but that doesn't disprove the chemical theory of the chlorine/CYA relationship. Using Baquacil with ones eyes open is just that -- not a problem so long as one knows the pros and cons.

Richard

PrivateShrink,

I don't think the "experts" are just making things up. If you read this thread or this forum I think you will come to the conclusion that Baquacil can have problems in pools. For spas, the water is changed completely but even so there are reports of white water mold and other problems (cloudy water, etc.). Nevertheless, one could use something like Spa System Flush or similar products after every or every other water change to kill any white water mold forming in pipes or other surfaces you can't reach. I can't comment on the concerns about Baquacil directly affecting certain types of spa surfaces as there are fewer direct reports about that, but you've read what people have written.

Since these sorts of things are statistical probabilities and not certainties, you may never experience a problem with Baquacil. This is similar to pool users that have high CYA levels without correspondingly higher FC levels -- they may never see algae because of other factors such as low nitrates or phosphates, but that doesn't disprove the chemical theory of the chlorine/CYA relationship. Using Baquacil with ones eyes open is just that -- not a problem so long as one knows the pros and cons.

Richard

I do appreciate your very good points and even better perspective. I can only hope that I fall into the category of those who never encounter problems, but what I "worry" about are exactly those issues that have been written about. For now, we are very happy with our system, if my plastic corrodes, we all know what the number one suspect will be.