Intex 18' X 48" Pool -- Need Filter Help (wanting To Use A Larger Pump)

GCS

Recently purchased an 18' x 48" Intex pool (Sand and Sun Walmart model).

I also purchased an larger pump/filter for it (model 633). Upon setting the pool up we found out there the intake (ie where water exits the pool) is a skimmer box with a canister mounted directly to the side of the pool and the pump mounted on the bottom of said canister. Because of this setup there is no way to use this new larger pump.

Is there any way to use this larger pump with this particular setup??

FYI I also have the saltwater system to use on the pool as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Greg

I bought the same pool 3 weeks ago. I also bought a saltwater system and a bigger pump (a 4000gph). My husband cut a hole in the bottom of the skimmer box big enough for the pump fitting to fit into. He also cut the return hole big enough for the pump return hose. Hope this helps!! We have really enjoyed ours so far!

Hi Greg! The intex pools use a really bad way to filter their pools. I have had one the size of yours & gave it to my brother in law. He wanted to use a sand pump with it. He found a great deal on a Hayward 1hp motor & sand filter. He had to change out the 2 hose fittings but let me tell you this was a wonderful idea & it kept the water sparkling clear. He used my aqua critter until he got his own. The intex side mount floating skimmer also can be purchased directly from intex for about $12. This is a great pool set up if you can get a sand filter to use with it. If not good luck you will spend more time & money on intex product that it is worth. Have a gr8 summer.

Nancy

Recently purchased an 18' x 48" Intex pool (Sand and Sun Walmart model).

I also purchased an larger pump/filter for it (model 633). Upon setting the pool up we found out there the intake (ie where water exits the pool) is a skimmer box with a canister mounted directly to the side of the pool and the pump mounted on the bottom of said canister. Because of this setup there is no way to use this new larger pump.

Is there any way to use this larger pump with this particular setup??

FYI I also have the saltwater system to use on the pool as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Greg

Hi Greg! The intex pools use a really bad way to filter their pools. I have had one the size of yours & gave it to my brother in law. He wanted to use a sand pump with it. He found a great deal on a Hayward 1hp motor & sand filter. He had to change out the 2 hose fittings but let me tell you this was a wonderful idea & it kept the water sparkling clear. He used my aqua critter until he got his own. The intex side mount floating skimmer also can be purchased directly from intex for about $12. This is a great pool set up if you can get a sand filter to use with it. If not good luck you will spend more time & money on intex product that it is worth. Have a gr8 summer.

Nancy

I am in my second season with a 18' Intek pool. My family loves it, but keeping it clean has been a nightmare. The pump/filter supplied with the pool is ineffective. I have been searching for a 1-1.5 hp pump and sand filter setup, but can't seem to find a cost effective retailer. Average price online is around $300 with shipping. Are there any cautions I should be aware of when converting to a larger pump and filter system? I would also like to install a side-wall skimmer, but don't want the box protruding into the pool. Any reccomendations there?