New Liner Install Questions

DeltaT

So, I am about put down ALOT of money to have a new Liner installed in my inground pool. We got several estimates But only one company actually came out measured and looked first everyone else just through a number over the phone. They were the highest estimate we got but on par with the others except for one guy who seemed "2 cheap". So we are going with Higher est. because at least he took the time to come out and measure and put eyes on the pools condition. Its an 18*36 oval pool with no stairs seems to be in overall good shape but has been neglected, We only had the house about 6 months and know no history on the pool. Since I am pretty much blowing my wad on this I cant afford any

extras they may pop up.

But before I commit and put down a deposit, What questions should I ask the installer?

Are minor repairs included? Maybe some bottom repair and patch small cracks in the

Whats the warranty and what exactly does in cover?

Liner thickness?

Install Time.?

Padding included?

Get the est in writing?

Most companies Bring a water truck to finish filling the pool so they can oversee its filling and deal with any issues that may arise, right?

Being a contractor I do ALL home repairs and remodeling my self, But not wanting to attempt a pool liner and eat the cost of screwing it up I,m willing to paying for exp. to do it but I,m still nervous about it. So any and all help is appreciated

So, I am about put down ALOT of money to have a new Liner installed in my inground pool. We got several estimates But only one company actually came out measured and looked first everyone else just through a number over the phone. They were the highest estimate we got but on par with the others except for one guy who seemed "2 cheap". So we are going with Higher est. because at least he took the time to come out and measure and put eyes on the pools condition. Its an 18*36 oval pool with no stairs seems to be in overall good shape but has been neglected, We only had the house about 6 months and know no history on the pool. Since I am pretty much blowing my wad on this I cant afford any

extras they may pop up.

But before I commit and put down a deposit, What questions should I ask the installer?

Are minor repairs included? Maybe some bottom repair and patch small cracks in the

Liner thickness?

Install Time.?

Padding included?

Get the est in writing?

Most companies Bring a water truck to finish filling the pool so they can oversee its filling and deal with any issues that may arise, right?

Being a contractor I do ALL home repairs and remodeling my self, But not wanting to attempt a pool liner and eat the cost of screwing it up I,m willing to paying for exp. to do it but I,m still nervous about it. So any and all help is appreciated

Are minor repairs included? Maybe some bottom repair and patch small cracks?

Answer: All repairs (if any) are at additional cost.

Answer: All vinyl liner warranties are meaningless because they are pro-rated. 20mil liners have a 5 year pro-rated warranty but if the liner fails in that period, the price of the replacement liner will have increased proportionally. The same applies to the 10 year pro-rated warranty on a 28mil liner. It is just a sales gimmick that brings you back to the same installation company to buy your next liner. NOTE: Most if no all States enforce a one year implied warranty on every purchase. If you have a problem during the first year after installation, you must file before years end at your local small claims court. After that, you're on your own.

Liner thickness?

Answer: Nearly all new vinyl liner pools have a 28mil liner installed. It nearly always lasts between 10 and 15 years. Always insist on a 28mil liner, no matter what excuses or story's you are told. It will cost $700. to $800. more, but it will last more than twice as long.

Install Time.? Liner manufacturers ship within 2 weeks, but installers might be backed-up at this time of year.

Padding included? Foam padding is extra, but is only necessary with steel or wood walls (the wall is the first 3 1/2' feet down from the top, all the way around the pool.

Get the est in writing? I don't believe this question even needs an answer but, since you asked, absolutely! Only buy from established replacement liner company's. Never buy anything, or have any work performed on a swimming pool, unless the product or service is provided by an established pool company, and is clearly described on a professionally printed company form. Good luck with your pool. -Bill Nash

• Any good pool company will always pressure test all of the lines b4 the new liner goes goes in.
  • They should also take care of any surface rust on the walls and finish with a rust inhibiting primer.
  • All of your wall joints should be retaped or siliconed
  • All new gaskets and face plates for skimmer and returns & maindrain should be included in price
  • Price should include reshaping bottom if sand or repair to pool pad if necessary
If your in a northern climate I would recommend a thicker liner like 30 or 40 mil. NEver go with a 20 mil. Time frame for install should be 2 days