Hot Pump Motor

I have a 1.5hp Hayward that's 3 years old. It stopped pumping and is hot.

I panicked and went to the local Leslie's Pool supply and of course they sold me a new pump. It's a two speed pump, and it's supposed to save me money on my electric bill but... the new one had treaded male inlet/outlet and the older Hayward has quick connect couplings. Pool supply place has not adapters.

I've had time to think about it, and before I start cutting PVC I thought I'd see about replacing the older pump motor so I can keep the housing with the quick connect flanges.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Is this an aboveground or inground pool? Was your old pump leaking at all, either with the pump on or off? When it stopped pumping and got hot, did the motor shut itself off?

Ok, now on to your question. Yes, you can replace just the pump motor. It will likely be cheaper than replacing the whole pump, especially if you do it yourself. It sounds like your motor is most likely in need of replacement though. If you want to save money on your electric bill, you can probably just buy a new 2 speed pump motor, and keep your old housing. If you do replace the motor only, I suggest you also get a "go kit" for your particular pump. It will have the new pump seal you need, as well as new o-rings for your pump.

If you decide to just keep the new pump, you can probably find a union that will fit. Hayward makes a variety of unions. It may take a little creativity, but you can probably find a way to make it work. Let me know what you decide and I'll try to help you out.

Sounds to me like you didnt need a pump or motor. If the old motor isnt screaming and sounds normal, you probably just lost prime. There can be a couple of reasons why you lost prime but the easiest way to find an air leak, the reason why a pump loses prime, 1) try and prime the pump. 2)Get close to the suction side of the motor, turn the motor off at the timer and look for spit of water. Water will always find an air leak. It could be around the pump lid, suction male adapter( fitting that goes to the front of the motor), any suction valves, pot plugs, or flange gasket. Ive also seen something as stupid as the skimmer weir door getting stuck and not alowing a water flow. I would suggest trying to find the air leak first especially if it in the valves because you can replace the pump and still have the problem.