2004 Sundance Altama Vs 2008 Sundance Certa

q95

I've been researching local dealers and scanning the internet.

I have found a 2004 Sundance Altamar ($3,000). It includes some extras, but isn't loaded. It appears to have been taken care of fairly well and has a good history & owner. But, that is what I'm told.

If I buy it, I probably save a bunch. I need to move it (without damaging it), won't get a warranty and won't get the exact colors I want. I also won't get a couple of upgrades that have come out since.

If I don't go with this unit, I'm settled in on ordering a new 2008 Sundance Certa. Full warranty & delivery. Plus, I'd get my interior & exterior color choice.

I'm willing to take some risk, but am not 100% sure its worth the potential pain.

Any suggestions ? Even though its a 2004, I'd get a few more jets and the separate motor with air jets. Some subtle differenfes. On the other hand, the new Certa would have the latest jets. I'm not sure if that's a big deal or not.

My second tub choice would be a 2008 Artesian Grand Bahama. I like it, but seems like the controls are a bit harder to manipulate. And, the seats seem a bit more "upright" in nature.

If I were making the choise, I would go with the Altimar as long as it is in good condition. The Altimar, though four years old, is a higher level spa than the Certa. It is the 850 series vs the 780 series. The Altimar has a much better controller, two 2.5 hp pumps vs one 2.5 and one 1.5, a titanium heater vs ss. They both have the microclean I filter system. Looks like a pretty good deal.

The dealer has offerd a new 2007 Sundance Certa for $6,000 (cover, steps, start-up kit but no lift). I should have asked if it had been in the showroom as a demo/test. Not sure if that matters a whole lot, since the warranty is full.

The 2004 Sundance Altamar is $3,000. I have a quote to move it for $400 (its like 60 miles away). So, we're talking $3,400 total.

So, the difference is $2,600 more.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if advantages of newest jets, full warranty and delivery are worth it. Its newer and resale later would also be higher (should be).

Of course, the differnce can go fairly far with repair costs. The Altamar is the next higher series. Has the air blower and 14 air jets and a bit bigger second motor.

I think if the colors of the used one are exactly what I think I want, I'd be a bit less hesitant. But, the color of the used one is actually what my wife prefers anyway.

I'm going to look at the used one again on Sunday or Monday, as I have those days off.

The dealer has offerd a new 2007 Sundance Certa for $6,000 (cover, steps, start-up kit but no lift). I should have asked if it had been in the showroom as a demo/test. Not sure if that matters a whole lot, since the warranty is full.

The 2004 Sundance Altamar is $3,000. I have a quote to move it for $400 (its like 60 miles away). So, we're talking $3,400 total.

So, the difference is $2,600 more.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if advantages of newest jets, full warranty and delivery are worth it. Its newer and resale later would also be higher (should be).

Of course, the differnce can go fairly far with repair costs. The Altamar is the next higher series. Has the air blower and 14 air jets and a bit bigger second motor.

I think if the colors of the used one are exactly what I think I want, I'd be a bit less hesitant. But, the color of the used one is actually what my wife prefers anyway.

I'm going to look at the used one again on Sunday or Monday, as I have those days off.

Check the price of a new Altimar vs the new Certa. This will give you an idea of the difference between the two spas. The biggest difference between the two will be in the electronics, not the air blower or the air jets. The Altimar uses the LCD electronics vs the LED electronics in the Certa. The LCD is a much higher end product. The LCD and the LED are manufactured by different companies so there is no comparison. Can you negotiate the price of the Altimar down...spas typically don't hold their value well.

The used Altamar is $3,100 plus $300 to move it (dealer), plus approx $400 for steps & lift (this one doesn't have either). It does have a few chemicals, but not much. And, the cover is original, so I think I can get this year out of it, maybe one more. Then, I'd need a new one (so need to figure that into the mix). So, It looks like a total of $3,800-$4,000.

The Certa is $6,150. Delivered, full warranty, start-up chemicals, etc. Includes cover, lift & steps. Includes tax as well. And, the colors are exactly what I want. Oh, this is an in-stock, showroom model but never had water in it. Plus, the used '04 has one foot well light, not the "fancy" LED lights that the new ones have. And, the Certa jets are newer (but not chrome).

So, it looks like approximately $2,000 difference. That's 50% of the used one ! And 1/3 of the new one.

I'm still on the fence.

I'm going to get quotes on Wednesday, my next day off of work, for an '08 Altamar. Then, try to pull the trigger on one of the deals. I'd like to get something in by Memorial Day ! It usually rains here, so maybe I'l put a pop-up canopy over it and soak !

The used Altamar is $3,100 plus $300 to move it (dealer), plus approx $400 for steps & lift (this one doesn't have either). It does have a few chemicals, but not much. And, the cover is original, so I think I can get this year out of it, maybe one more. Then, I'd need a new one (so need to figure that into the mix). So, It looks like a total of $3,800-$4,000.

The Certa is $6,150. Delivered, full warranty, start-up chemicals, etc. Includes cover, lift & steps. Includes tax as well. And, the colors are exactly what I want. Oh, this is an in-stock, showroom model but never had water in it. Plus, the used '04 has one foot well light, not the "fancy" LED lights that the new ones have. And, the Certa jets are newer (but not chrome).

So, it looks like approximately $2,000 difference. That's 50% of the used one ! And 1/3 of the new one.

I'm still on the fence.

I'm going to get quotes on Wednesday, my next day off of work, for an '08 Altamar. Then, try to pull the trigger on one of the deals. I'd like to get something in by Memorial Day ! It usually rains here, so maybe I'l put a pop-up canopy over it and soak !

Sounds to me like you have already made up your mind to go with the new one. Just a few quick points. Have you checked out Craigs List?

Also, I am getting my Thermospa used a 2003. 104 Jets. 3 pumps plus a blower. Nice tub. The price is good too. Free. My brother is getting a new one. Anyway I called thermospas and for $99 they will come down and inspect the tub. Then I can purchase an extended warantee directly from Thermospas.

Also keep in mind.. YOu need a base to put it on or a cement pad or deck. You need to also run electric.

I'm still on the fence.

Sounds to me like you have already made up your mind to go with the new one. Just a few quick points. Have you checked out Craigs List?

Also, I am getting my Thermospa used a 2003. 104 Jets. 3 pumps plus a blower. Nice tub. The price is good too. Free. My brother is getting a new one. Anyway I called thermospas and for $99 they will come down and inspect the tub. Then I can purchase an extended warantee directly from Thermospas.

Also keep in mind.. YOu need a base to put it on or a cement pad or deck. You need to also run electric.

Yeah, craigslist.com is where I found two used ones. I eliminated most of the others, as I had a personal requirement to have maintenance free (synthetic) siding. The ones I looked at were not in as good of shape as I needed (missing stuff, didn't have steps, etc ... so when I added that into the price, it wasn't as good of a deal for 4-5 year old tub).