Oxidizer Use With Ozone

Hex92

I have a 375 gallon tub with an ozonator. The first couple weeks we didn't have ozone so we put 4 Oz of oxidizer in once a week. Then we got the ozone and we were told to cut it in half. So we put in 2 Oz a week.

We were monitoring the oxidizer levels and they stayed in the OK zone for over two weeks without adding any. Is this normal with ozone? We even tested when the tub wasn't running in case we were just detecting the oxidizing potential of the ozone.

Finally I figured we must need some so I put 1 Oz in yesterday when I added dichlor. The tub seemed slightly foamy, but not bad.

Should I just add the oxidizer anyway? Like one scoop a week?

So far our water is staying really nice. We add 1 Oz dichlor every 5 or 6 days and it looks like we could go weeks without adding oxidizer. The water is clear and smells good.....Maybe I shouldn't mess with success...

When you say oxidizer, what exactly do you mean?

According to the charts, you need 2.5 teaspoons of regular dichlor (50%) to get to 5ppm chlorine for your tub.

http://www.rhtubs.com/info/water.htm

You'll need to put that in just about every day. With ozone, it'll last a little longer, so you need to check how long it lasts. You never want to go below 1ppm.

You'll need to add 2.5 tablespoons of MPS once a week.

I have a 375 gallon tub with an ozonator. The first couple weeks we didn't have ozone so we put 4 Oz of oxidizer in once a week. Then we got the ozone and we were told to cut it in half. So we put in 2 Oz a week.

We were monitoring the oxidizer levels and they stayed in the OK zone for over two weeks without adding any. Is this normal with ozone? We even tested when the tub wasn't running in case we were just detecting the oxidizing potential of the ozone.

Finally I figured we must need some so I put 1 Oz in yesterday when I added dichlor. The tub seemed slightly foamy, but not bad.

Should I just add the oxidizer anyway? Like one scoop a week?

So far our water is staying really nice. We add 1 Oz dichlor every 5 or 6 days and it looks like we could go weeks without adding oxidizer. The water is clear and smells good.....Maybe I shouldn't mess with success...

The ozonator you added is another form of oxidizing. It is a very strong(I have been told the strogest, it just has no residual effect when not running) oxidizer. You will notice, as you have that you can reduce the amount of chemical use because the ozonator is oxidizing much of your waste allowing the chlorine to do its job sanitizing. I would stay with what works with the dichlor to keep your levels where they belong. you will soon figure out how much you need with your ozonztor. I would still use the oxidizer weekly to make sure the wastes are being effectivly destroyed, I am guessing you are using MPS. This will help for when the ozone is not on, and it is also very fast acting.