Why Is This Jet Warped And Where Do I Find A New One?

Logger

I have a hot tub from the late 1980s (don't know the manufacturer). Two of the jets popped out because the mounting rings had become warped/distorted:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Questions:

1. What caused these jets to distort so badly?

2. Any suggestions on where to locate a replacement?

Some quick searches around the net have turned up nothing, and the local dealer looked at me like I had two heads when I brought this jet to their parts counter.

I have a hot tub from the late 1980s (don't know the manufacturer). Two of the jets popped out because the mounting rings had become warped/distorted:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Questions:

1. What caused these jets to distort so badly?

2. Any suggestions on where to locate a replacement?

Some quick searches around the net have turned up nothing, and the local dealer looked at me like I had two heads when I brought this jet to their parts counter.

What caused it is pure speculation on my part but it could have been from overheating at some point and melted it a bit. without the manufacturer, I'm not sure but you may be able to find something. There may be a label on the spa somewhere by the main hook-up inside the spa on the box that the electrical is wired into. Good luck with that one. :huh:

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected heat...but wow...the water would have to be really hot (boiling?) to distort something like that...or so you would think. The local spa parts guy said "chemical abuse." Is that guy blowing smoke, or can a chemical imbalance really affect plastic like that?

As for replacing the jet... I sent the picture to an on-line parts source, and they were able to track down new lock-rings for those jets. I should have them within the next 10 days.

One problem fixed...a few more to go. With any luck, I'll be in this hot tub by Labor Day... :D

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected heat...but wow...the water would have to be really hot (boiling?) to distort something like that...or so you would think. The local spa parts guy said "chemical abuse." Is that guy blowing smoke, or can a chemical imbalance really affect plastic like that?

As for replacing the jet... I sent the picture to an on-line parts source, and they were able to track down new lock-rings for those jets. I should have them within the next 10 days.

One problem fixed...a few more to go. With any luck, I'll be in this hot tub by Labor Day... :D

I was thinking the same thing with the chemical imbalance. Also it could very well be way overheated. In the mid to late 80's the heat shut off switches on alot of tub manufacturers went bad and coupled with owner neglagance could of caused the melting.

Any chemical imbalances I have seen have been a deterioration of the plastics.

...In the mid to late 80's the heat shut off switches on alot of tub manufacturers went bad and coupled with owner neglagance could of caused the melting.
Hmm...VERY interesting comment! The filter housing manifold on this spa threads right onto the end of the heater outlet. This manifold is also severely distorted. Perhaps this spa had a major over-heat the last time it was run?

Sounds like I'd better keep a close eye on this thing the first time I bring it up to temerature.

Thanks again for the feedback.