Used Coleman 706 - Am I Nuts?

tobz

I may be able to get a 2005 Coleman 706 Maxxim for $5K. *Supposedly* used only 3 times. Am I nuts for considering this? I've been looking at the HS Vanguard and Sundance Cameo. The jet count on the Coleman is nuts - even wrist jets.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the warranty. Do they transfer? I looked at the Coleman site and seems they want dealer info to register.

Any input or words of caution greatly appreciated!

I may be able to get a 2005 Coleman 706 Maxxim for $5K. *Supposedly* used only 3 times. Am I nuts for considering this? I've been looking at the HS Vanguard and Sundance Cameo. The jet count on the Coleman is nuts - even wrist jets.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the warranty. Do they transfer? I looked at the Coleman site and seems they want dealer info to register.

The warranty does NOT transfer so factor that in. What did the spa sell for previously? I'd imagine that between the fact it's a year old and the loss of warranty, the owner will get hit pretty hard and they'd have to sell for about 1/3 less than they paid for it (that's for a private sale, less if they sold to a dealer).

The warranty does NOT transfer so factor that in. What did the spa sell for previously? I'd imagine that between the fact it's a year old and the loss of warranty, the owner will get hit pretty hard and they'd have to sell for about 1/3 less than they paid for it (that's for a private sale, less if they sold to a dealer).

Thanks for the word on the warranty. I figured I might on my own. If I can get it for $4000-$4500 might be worth the gamble. Seller claims it was $8500 new. I need to call a local dealer and see what they're going for now. I guess I'm curious if there are major horror stories out there about the model. I believe MAXX manufactures it and uses the Coleman brand. Not sure about this.

I need to wet test one. I'm really intrigued by the number of jets and their layout. Only one I've seen with wrist and forearm jets on several seats.

Had one for about 10 months, excellent we just love it. when I asked everybody said you dont need to worry about warranty as they dont go wrong and so far their right.

Now I'm not sure I'd go that far. Coleman is certainly a decent tub but you'll be happy you have that warranty when/if something goes wrong.

So I guess the magic question is can I expect warranty calls in a large enough number that it would cost me $4K out of pocket to cover them?

Is there any type of poll on this site that has tracked number of service calls over the life of spa owners?

So I guess the magic question is can I expect warranty calls in a large enough number that it would cost me $4K out of pocket to cover them?

Is there any type of poll on this site that has tracked number of service calls over the life of spa owners?

If something goes wrong on the coleman spa it has the accessablility. That tub in my store located in new york goes for 9,600 dollars with cover, cover lift, cover, ozone, 4 month supply chemicals. You cannot lose for 5g's considering it is only 1 year or less old. Very easy to work on and just tell the store you bought it new and moved and say your name is the previous owner. I have had a couple of people do that. ;)

Thanks for the word on the warranty. I figured I might on my own. If I can get it for $4000-$4500 might be worth the gamble. Seller claims it was $8500 new. I need to call a local dealer and see what they're going for now. I guess I'm curious if there are major horror stories out there about the model. I believe MAXX manufactures it and uses the Coleman brand. Not sure about this.

I need to wet test one. I'm really intrigued by the number of jets and their layout. Only one I've seen with wrist and forearm jets on several seats.

I'll chime in on this topic: I went to a local dealer to see their spas. Later that day, I looked in the paper and found a D1 spa for sale that was just what we'd looked at. It was a private sale. I went to look at the spa, the owner said it was three years old and hadn't been used that much after the first year. He said he'd paid 8500 for it. I said that I'd seen the new model in the dealer and the owner said that was where he'd purchased his spa.

So,. . . wanting to check into every aspect of the spa's history, I called the dealer and asked if he thought this was a good deal. He asked the name of the guy and I gave it to him. He looked up the records and said the spa had actually been purchased 4 years ago and it was the display model, so he didn't pay what he said he had. The dealer then went on to badmouth the owner, and now I don't want either the used one from the private owner b/c he wasn't truthful about the history, price, etc. And I don't want to go back to the dealer because he badmouthed his customer!

Now I'm just tired of looking and trying to figure out what's best. I've been reading all the stuff in the forum, and it just makes me more confused. I love the thought of being able to relax in a spa when I come home from my very stressful job, but the time and reasearch are crazy and I'm far more frustrated than when I began researching. At this point, I don't know if I'll get one or not!

Now I'm just tired of looking and trying to figure out what's best. I've been reading all the stuff in the forum, and it just makes me more confused.

If you really want that used one call the guys bluff. Ask him to see a copy of the receipt so you can verify it's age and price (tell him we said we can tell when it was made from the S/N). This will catch him on the price, date of sale and the fact that it was a floor model due to teh s/n aging it further. If he really wants to sell he may follow through or cave. If he says he doesn't have one tell him the spa professionals on this site told you that a copy will most defintely be available at the dealer.

Otherwise, if you think the spa you get is something you'll use form the next 10+ years i'd consider getting a new one an think of it as an investment in improving your quality of life.

Tobz and Susan,

Getting a used spa can be a bit scary because you start out with information from someone you may not know. Many people will try to "play up" the quality or "value" of their used spa to get as much money as possible out of it because they do loose value over time and nobody likes to loose money. I think it is a great idea to take the ball into your own hands and check up on the information you are givin. It can be a tough road to go at times but through your direct efforts (to protect yourself from being taken advantage of) you will find what you are looking for. Don't give up Susan! I'm sure that there is someone out there that you can speak to who does not lie and badmouth other people. Take your time and try not to be discouraged. If your desire is to have a spa to relax in at home... it will eventually happen. It may take a little more time or effort in finding the right one with the right people to give you the support you are looking for but it will be worth it when you do find it. Hang in there.

Tobz, if you decide to go with a used spa... even if it has only been used a couple of times, I would ask a few more questions about how it has been cared for. What sanitizing system has been used? Who has maintained the water or did it sit uncared for and neglected? A neglected spa can come with potential problems down the road. You may save money up front but go into it with full knowledge. I personally would never get a neglected spa no matter how much money I saved. I'd rather just sit in a spa with no problems hanging over me. But then again, I am not a handy person.

Good luck to you both. ;)

Tobz, if you decide to go with a used spa... even if it has only been used a couple of times, I would ask a few more questions about how it has been cared for. What sanitizing system has been used? Who has maintained the water or did it sit uncared for and neglected? A neglected spa can come with potential problems down the road. You may save money up front but go into it with full knowledge. I personally would never get a neglected spa no matter how much money I saved. I'd rather just sit in a spa with no problems hanging over me. But then again, I am not a handy person.

Great advice, thank you. Didn't think about asking about the care. Good suggestion, if nothing else I can gauge the response for honesty.

I've already inquired about where the spa was purchased and there's only one dealer in town so it had to be there. The spa is in storage so I need to ask who moved it and how. Unfortunately since it's not filled, that increases the risk a bit since I can't see it functioning.

I'm pretty handy so I don't mind the idea of a few repairs down the road if I'm certain of what I'm getting into.

Man, great advice, thanks to all!

Great advice, thank you. Didn't think about asking about the care. Good suggestion, if nothing else I can gauge the response for honesty.

I've already inquired about where the spa was purchased and there's only one dealer in town so it had to be there. The spa is in storage so I need to ask who moved it and how. Unfortunately since it's not filled, that increases the risk a bit since I can't see it functioning.

I'm pretty handy so I don't mind the idea of a few repairs down the road if I'm certain of what I'm getting into.

Man, great advice, thanks to all!

If it has not been in use and there is no way to test it out you may want to set up some kind of contigency regarding the purchase of the used spa if the current owner is up for it. I know that if I was to sell my spa that hadn't been operated for a while (even if it was operational the last time I used it) and something were to go wrong, I would want the purchaser to be protected and my "word of honor" to stand true. This seems to be a reasonable request to me. Even when I sell things at a garage sale that I haven't used for a long time, I tell people if it doesn't work, let me know. Who knows, maybe the owner can assist somehow or validate things once it is set up in your yard. It doesn't hurt to ask.... especially if you are going to pay them a few thousand dollars for something with a warranty that is not transferable. All this being said, it's good to get to know your local dealer and if you do not have a manual- they can get ahold of one for you.

Best of luck!

Tobz and Susan,

Getting a used spa can be a bit scary because you start out with information from someone you may not know. Many people will try to "play up" the quality or "value" of their used spa to get as much money as possible out of it because they do loose value over time and nobody likes to loose money. I think it is a great idea to take the ball into your own hands and check up on the information you are givin. It can be a tough road to go at times but through your direct efforts (to protect yourself from being taken advantage of) you will find what you are looking for. Don't give up Susan! I'm sure that there is someone out there that you can speak to who does not lie and badmouth other people. Take your time and try not to be discouraged. If your desire is to have a spa to relax in at home... it will eventually happen. It may take a little more time or effort in finding the right one with the right people to give you the support you are looking for but it will be worth it when you do find it. Hang in there.

I just sold a 2003 705 two lounger for 5,300 dollars with a 30 day gaurantee. That is a great tub for the price no if and or buts about it.

Tobz and Susan,

Thats a great price for that spa. I own a 2004 Coleman 706 and have zero service issues with it. I also sell and service Coleman spas and they are very easy to work on.

In my opinion you shouldn't have to worry about previous poor care damaging a spa thats only 1 year old. These spas are tough machines and if a one year old spa had been abused to the point that service issue were created you would be able to see tell tale signs by looking at it.

We are selling 2006 706's in my store with special factory rebates during our summer sale for 9,600.00.

Thats a great price for that spa. I own a 2004 Coleman 706 and have zero service issues with it. I also sell and service Coleman spas and they are very easy to work on.

In my opinion you shouldn't have to worry about previous poor care damaging a spa thats only 1 year old. These spas are tough machines and if a one year old spa had been abused to the point that service issue were created you would be able to see tell tale signs by looking at it.

We are selling 2006 706's in my store with special factory rebates during our summer sale for 9,600.00.

Lead times for the Coleman are outrageous. Of the 21 years with this company we never had lead times of 9 weeks.

Lead times for the Coleman are outrageous. Of the 21 years with this company we never had lead times of 9 weeks.

I agree, Coleman is having some growing pains since the Elite manufacturing facility moved to Chandler..We're trying to adjust by ordering more spas per truckload and having a large inventory. Right now we have ten 471-D's in Sahara w/ash because it's our number one seller and our number one color. Wouldn't you know it, I just sold a 471-D in Tahoe w/Mocha??? We don't have that combo in stock. I would have never thought to put those two together, but I'm sure it will be a sparp looking tub when we see it in three months...

3 months??? I can't imagine why it takes so long and I can't imagine too many customers willling to wait if they're ready for the spa.

I meant that as a joke. Our last truckload actually arrived in 7 weeks from the date we finalized the order. Our stores are in North Dakota, need I say more, people here are used to waiting longer.

I agree, Coleman is having some growing pains since the Elite manufacturing facility moved to Chandler..We're trying to adjust by ordering more spas per truckload and having a large inventory. Right now we have ten 471-D's in Sahara w/ash because it's our number one seller and our number one color. Wouldn't you know it, I just sold a 471-D in Tahoe w/Mocha??? We don't have that combo in stock. I would have never thought to put those two together, but I'm sure it will be a sparp looking tub when we see it in three months...

Our Number one seller is the 472 AE and we have one with a tahoe and mocha. That is a harendous combo though. Really ugly but that is because we switched them with the cinn. What state are you in?

I meant that as a joke. Our last truckload actually arrived in 7 weeks from the date we finalized the order. Our stores are in North Dakota, need I say more, people here are used to waiting longer.

We are in long island and it is taking in some cases 10 weeks. We have our rep actually calling these customers to tell them its there fault and giving them wireless remotes for there troubles. This is outrageous and must stop before next season or we will carry another line as well as Coleman. I recieved information on the Jacuzzi line and hotsprings last week and am really considering one or the other. We never had to do that before.