Quoted $950 For 10x10 Slab Of Concrete...fair Price?

Hey folks,

Just got an estimate to lay down a 10X10 slab of concrete for me to put a portable hot tub on. The quote was for $950. Is this about right?

Thanks

I did all the site prep myself for a 10.5 by 10.5 foot by 5" thick pad including the forming and rebar. My costs were

Concrete placement was a minimun charge of $350 + tax

30MPa or 4350 psi Concrete: $265 + tax (should have been more but got a deal)

If your $950.00 includes forming, rebar and removal of forms the $950 is slightly high but not unreasonable for a small job. We are in BC Canada.

Thanks. It includes all work (i.e. I do nothing). I wouldn't mind doing stuff, but I don't even know what that stuff (forming, rebar...) means, so... ;)

This is for North East (MA), US.

If that includes your sub-base preparation and compaction you have a great deal. Contractors must be hungry for work in you area. Make sure your contractor is removing any topsoil and replacing it with a suitable sand and gravel sub base mixture and compacting it prior to concrete placement. If this is not done your concrete pad may settle.

Thanks. It includes all work (i.e. I do nothing). I wouldn't mind doing stuff, but I don't even know what that stuff (forming, rebar...) means, so... ;)

This is for North East (MA), US.

If that includes your sub-base preparation and compaction you have a great deal. Contractors must be hungry for work in you area. Make sure your contractor is removing any topsoil and replacing it with a suitable sand and gravel sub base mixture and compacting it prior to concrete placement. If this is not done your concrete pad may settle.

Qwerty....had a ten by ten by eight inch thick slab poured a year ago for our spa....think it ran us 750 all included...BUT the guy was doing a job on the next street over already and it was ecconomical for him to just send two of his guys over to do it. I think anything under a grand is probably a good price.

Hey folks,

Just got an estimate to lay down a 10X10 slab of concrete for me to put a portable hot tub on. The quote was for $950. Is this about right?

Thanks

I think that is theft! Here in Iowa I had a pad pured and stamped, 4 inches thick to 6 under the tub and I paid $10/foot. That was for wheelbarrowing it 150 feet as well by hand.I had a sidewalk done the other day and that is $6 a foot for 3 inches thick.

I would say get another bid.

Hey folks,

Thanks

I think that is theft! Here in Iowa I had a pad pured and stamped, 4 inches thick to 6 under the tub and I paid $10/foot. That was for wheelbarrowing it 150 feet as well by hand.I had a sidewalk done the other day and that is $6 a foot for 3 inches thick.

I would say get another bid.

A ten by ten slab would be 100 square feet. At your $10/foot that works out to $1000. Where's the theft??

check with your local ready mix supplier and rebar at building centers to get your material prices.

30 Mpa (4350 psi concrete) 1.4 cubic metres at 150/m + ~ 90 min delivery charge = $300 + taxes

rebar 12" by 16" grid of 10M bar = ~100 pounds at $0.5/# = $50 + taxes

2" by 6" for forms 4 each 2 by 6 = ~ $40 + taxes

labour 2 men x 4 hour minimum x $40/hour = $320.00

If you add up the above this equals $710 + taxes and does not include the gravel for the sub base or the cost to come back strip the forms etc. As I stated befor if your price includes sub base prep, rebar and form removal $950 is not too bad. Remember the rule of thumb for contractors is always get 3 prices.