Re-gelcoat Fiberglass Pool

akipp

My wife and I bought a house last year in Cape Coral, FL that has a fiberglass pool (shell). It appears that the original gelcoat is slowly but surely coming off. There are several large areas that are showing the actual fibergalss surface (brownish).....when rubbing on the white gelcoat it comes off fairly easily. I have tried consulting with pool restoration companies in my area...unfortunately there are only 3 companies in my area that will touch fiberglass shells.

1st company wants to resurface the whole thing with new fiberglass sheets and gel coat and have a 25 year warranty for $6900.

2nd company was out of their mind with $9000 for new gelcoat and tile

3rd company approx $6000 ....but didnt even care to come out and take a look.

so my options are very limited. I have opted to do this myself.

Can anyone recomment a product (gelcoat) wise?

Is it ok to choose a different color than white or will it really fade after 2-3 years?

How do I know if my pool has this hydrostic valve? a stand pipe? or well point?

anybody with some experience please HELP !!

thanks in advance aned sorry for the long post.

If you want some info. on doing the gelcoat yourself go to fiberglass_pool_repair.com. In my opinion, I would pay the money to a reputable company to do the work. The materials are expensive no matter what, and if you don't know what you are doing you could really cost yourself some big money. If there is a sump line or stand pipe under your pool there should be a plastic deck lid somewhere in your concrete at the deep end of your pool. To find out if you have a hydrostatic relief valve you will have to take the main drain cover off and see.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm a bit north of you in Englewood FL and I need to resurface my fiberglass pool also. I'm having the same problems you faced. Did you end up getting it done? If so, who did you find to do it? Were you happy with their service?

Thanks,

Sue Freeman

sue@footprintpress.com

• 11 months later...

I to have a fiberglass pool and along with re gelcoating it needs some patch work. you can buy fiberglass cloth and rasin and hardner at any auto supply store. brush it good and clean it apply some rasin then place the cloth on and smooth out. cover sith some rasin and let dry. The pool gelcoat wa a little harder to find as I wanted a blue coating. I went to a company Local in nashville TN Advance plastic and they are able to order the gelcoat for pools for me cost is priced by th epound 5 dollars comes in 5 gal pales usually waying about 50 pounds. Figure your square footage as close as possible and the salesman can help you figure how much to buy you will also need to buy hardner to mix in with the gelcoat. The hotter the out side temp the less hardner needed. Look for a palstic supplier in your area. Gelcoat can be roalled on just like paint but remember once you mix the hardner in with it you cant save it for later use as it will harden up.

I am using a boat repair person to do mine he is charging me 500 to repair the cracks and regelcoat I am buying the product.

Hope this helps

John

This man is the best I've ever encountered, Paul Pulver. His phone # is 727-798-1324. He is a licensed Florida pool cantractor and specializes in repairs and and refinishing of fiberglass pools.