Operating Pressures

Lorne

I'm new to this pool stuff and need advice. In November I purchased a home with a 27 foot above ground pool with a Hayward S180T sand filter and an SP2290 pump. I believe the system is 1 year old. I assume the previous owner installed the correct type and amount of sand in the filter.

My question is: What should I adjust and set the initial pressure to after backwashing? With the (suction) balancing valve, I can adjust it anywhere from 2 to 10 pounds. Too low a flow is not good, nor is too high a flow. Sadly, there is no flow meter in the system so I cannot use that as a guide. There are no owner's manuals, though they are on the way. I do know, though, that they do not give any pressures since "every installation is different."

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

I have a two-phase Hayward pump. On 'LO' the pressure gauge reads 10, regardless of the condition of my filter medium which is sand. On 'HI' it reads 20 when I have a clean filter, just backwashed and rinsed, and 28 when the filter medium is really grungy.

I also don't have a flow meter but am thinking of fitting one in because it would be enormously useful to have.

I backwash when the pressure gauge reads 26 or so, or when I'm just not getting the right amount of output at the return, and I've learned to judge that by putting my hand over it and checking the water pressure.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your assistance. That pretty much tallies with what I've been able to get from others. Funny that there is nothing definitive. Thanks again.

I have a two-phase Hayward pump. On 'LO' the pressure gauge reads 10, regardless of the condition of my filter medium which is sand. On 'HI' it reads 20 when I have a clean filter, just backwashed and rinsed, and 28 when the filter medium is really grungy.

I also don't have a flow meter but am thinking of fitting one in because it would be enormously useful to have.

I backwash when the pressure gauge reads 26 or so, or when I'm just not getting the right amount of output at the return, and I've learned to judge that by putting my hand over it and checking the water pressure.

• 8 months later...

Hello, I just started my pool for spring and I replaced the sand. I have a Baqua Pure sand filter. I slightly remember last season that my filter ran at about 10 on low and 20 on high, but now with everything clean, new sand...it is running at 3-5 on low and 10 on high? Im concerned and could use some advice to see if this is normal? Thank you very much.