Gfci Confusion

Logger

I'm working with a hot tub that was installed around 1988. It's powered from a single non-GFCI 50 amp breaker in my household service panel. There's no GFCI load center/quick disconnect box involved. Here's what the spa controller looks like:

IPB Image

This tub hasn't been used for 5+ years. Amazingly, everything seems to work fine. However, I'm concerned as to what ground fault protection it has. Exactly what (if any) protection does that GFCI outlet on the controller provide? If there's a fault with the pump/blower/heater, is that GFCI outlet going to trip...or is that outlet wired independently of the other components? When I press the GFCI "test" button with the pump/heater running, nothing happens. :unsure:

Also, I read this blurb on another website and it has me a bit concerned that the heater circuit has no GFCI protection:

...All 220 Volt spas must have Ground Fault protection for safety! Some older systems do not provide gfci protection on the heater circuit when operated at 220... Don't take a chance!

I don't want to get near this thing until I understand what ground fault protection I have! Any comments would be appreciated! :)

I'm working with a hot tub that was installed around 1988. It's powered from a single non-GFCI 50 amp breaker in my household service panel. There's no GFCI load center/quick disconnect box involved. Here's what the spa controller looks like:

IPB Image

This tub hasn't been used for 5+ years. Amazingly, everything seems to work fine. However, I'm concerned as to what ground fault protection it has. Exactly what (if any) protection does that GFCI outlet on the controller provide? If there's a fault with the pump/blower/heater, is that GFCI outlet going to trip...or is that outlet wired independently of the other components? When I press the GFCI "test" button with the pump/heater running, nothing happens. :unsure:

Also, I read this blurb on another website and it has me a bit concerned that the heater circuit has no GFCI protection:

I don't want to get near this thing until I understand what ground fault protection I have! Any comments would be appreciated! :)

Just use a 40 amp breaker with a normal GFCI. The heater should be supported within the 220volts and 40 amps this spa is pulling.

IPB Image

Right now you have no GFCI protection. The GFCI outlet only protects whatever is plugged into it. Like Brulan said replace the breaker in your electrical panel with a 2 pole GFCI with an amperage rating to match your wiring.

Right now you have no GFCI protection...Like Brulan said replace the breaker in your electrical panel with a 2 pole GFCI...

Would it have been typical for someone to wire a circuit like this 20 years ago and not have some sort of GFCI protection? That seems insane!

Thanks for the information guys. Sounds like I'd better steer clear of this thing until I can get that breaker swapped out.

Would it have been typical for someone to wire a circuit like this 20 years ago and not have some sort of GFCI protection? That seems insane!

Thanks for the information guys. Sounds like I'd better steer clear of this thing until I can get that breaker swapped out.

Thats a very easy swap out if your even a little savy with electrical. Turn off the main to the house and pop the old non GFCI out and snap in the new one. Or call an electrician if your even a little concerned or have never done this kind of thing before. Don't play with electrical if your not familiar. Use a tester to verify your circuit is dead.