Pentairwater Hardness Test Help

waterboy

We have a Pentair 782/783 test kit. The instuctions for the water hardness state.

1) Add 2 drops of solution #6 to the water. (this solution is blue so the water is now blue)

2) Carefully add solution #7 (1) drop at a time, shaking vial between drops to mix. Count the number of drops it takes the red color to"just" change to pure blue color.

My problem is the water is already blue from adding the 2 drops of #6 solution. My question is do I have the wrong color of #6 solution or should instruction 2 state "Carefully add solution #7 (1) drop at a time, shaking vial between drops to mix. Count the number of drops it takes the BLUE color to"just" change to pure RED color.

I have emailed pentair and hope they will respond.

Confused in BC thanks you in advance for your help.

waterboy,

The way that that test works is that the solution#6 turns red because of the presence of calcium hardness in the water. Solution #7 neutralises this and turns the sample blue again. It could be the case that your water is already so soft that your reagents don't have anything to turn red from. I would find a second testing method to compare with.

waterboy,

The way that that test works is that the solution#6 turns red because of the presence of calcium hardness in the water. Solution #7 neutralises this and turns the sample blue again. It could be the case that your water is already so soft that your reagents don't have anything to turn red from. I would find a second testing method to compare with.

thanks for your response.

The water came from a carbon pre block filter that remove everything over 0.5 microns. This was recommended as we have a bromine generator in our spa. maybe the filter is removing too much calcium. I will check it against normal tap water.

What issues will I have with the soft water. I know that they recommend againt soft water so maybe I do not want to use the filter.

Low Calcium hardness might not be a huge problem with you. The biggest issues that come with soft water are more relevant to those with grout, tiling or cement in/around their pool/spa. When there isn't a sufficient amount of calcium in water, the water will seek to gain more calcium by dissolving it from any calcium-rich surfaces that it comes into contact with. Therefore, low calcium harness can cause pitting and etching in tiles and concrete and can damage grout. If there's a local pool supply dealer in your area, they can typically test your water and tell you what to do to get it balanced. In the meantime, go ahead and test the unfiltered water and see what kind of results you get