A Flawed Delivery ... What Would You Do?

Guest sinker

Guest sinker

We had our spa delivered today by probably the most reputable dealer in our area. It went pretty well except ...

-- they were supposed to fill it, but they felt like leaving instead, so left me to do that (I muddled through)

-- they had a trainee (I guess) install the coverlifter ... and he drilled SEVEN extra holes (because at first he didn't understand where it mounted to the spa skirt). I now have seven extra, unsightly holes in my spa skirt

-- they were supposed to bring stain & scale preventer but they "forgot." They said I could add it later and they would send it, though the start-up guide clearly says it should be added before any other chemicals are added. So I drove 12 miles to get some.

-- they backed their trailer into an irrigation valve box, breaking it ... and drove off. I don't know whether they realized their mistake or not.

So, hey, we try to be easygoing, but after spending many thousands of dollars and the last three weekends doing my part to make this delivery easy (building a level pad, getting electrical done, etc.), we were a little, uh, unsatisfied.

So we called our salesperson, who told she would check into it. She did. She apologized for the problems and said we would get a call from Service about "correcting" the 7 lovely holes. I told her I probably wouldn't be satisfied with putty-filler. Not at these prices. She also offered us $25 coupon for supplies to make up for having to fill the spa myself. We'll take it!

Sure, we'll get over the 7 holes. But if we had bought the spa off the showroom floor with 7 extra holes in it -- even "repaired" -- we would have expected a significant discount. I'm not sure what the dealer is going to do, but surely am disappointed. If one of the installer crew was new, why the heck didn't someone supervise him? What are these people thinking?

In my business, when I make a mistake, I do what I have to do to make it right for the customer. I hope these folks will do the same.

If you were me, what would you ask for to "make it right?" Or are we just being babies about the 7 holes and the broken irrigation valve .... ?

They most certainly should fix the damaged valve box or at least refund the cost to do so. Is the skirt panel replaceable? If so they should replace it or at least refund some money. The coupon was a nice effort but falls way short. There's no reason you should pay for their incompetence and poor service. IF they are the most reputable dealer they should be offering much more then a measly $25. Their reputation is at stake and I bet if you went striaght to the owner you would get better results. But....depending how shady they are they may just try to recoup their offerings to you in increased charges on future sevice calls.

As well as you, in my business I did everything possible and sometimes beyond the call to please an upset customer. If this is their initial showing of service, you may want to find another "reputable dealer" for the future.

Now on the other hand I always try to think "What Would Jesus Do"...If it would bring glory to God he would turn the other cheek. It's a tough decision... as most are when it comes to man's thinking vs the Godly way...follow your heart is my best advice.

First I would check your contract and see where you stand. I would document EVERYTHING, I would even go as far as recording conversations (though you will want to check on the legality where you are, here in CA you just need to inform them that you are recording). If this ends up where you want to return it chances are you will need all of this to make a case, which will probably go in front of an Arbitrator.

Secondly, to me there seems to be an awful lot of your time that will be wasted running down their problems and following up on getting this resolved, because many businesses will deal with things at a slow pace, (not that that is their aim, they just deal with vendors and outside delivery companies ect) and should you stop bugging them they won't want to stir up a hornets nest that isn't buzzing.

So to me it is the time involved with all of this that is the issue. I would tell them to send out the people to replace the skirt to make it as it should have been, if that is just a couple of pieces no problem for them, if it's the whole skirt, bummer for them. I would get them to agree to pay for the damage to the valve, and have it repaired. Under the law you are required to mitigate your damages, so you can't get anything from them if you don't water your lawn while it is getting repaired and your lawn dies, or rather it would be unlikely.

Then I would figure out what your time is worth to you, then decide how much time you will need to dedicate to all of this. Again I would document all of this. Without telling them that your time is worth XXX and how long you figure you will spend on their problem I would let them know that you expect that much in refund, goods or services, above and beyond them fixing their mistakes. That is the only way that you come out even in the deal. The reason I say I wouldn't tell them about your time is valued at XXX etc, is that from working in retail and hearing that, it almost comes off as an insult as though you are telling that person that their time is not as valuable as your own. I also know that it would be somewhat of an inside joke about that person, I guess it just puts people in a defensive position.

Good Luck

A spa with seven ugly holes in it?? Totally unacceptable! Why would they even think that they don't have to replace the skirt? A $25 coupon? Let's see, that might buy you one bottle of chemical. I would think a $75 coupon is more in order. What is your time worth for filling the tub? Also, they most certainly should pay for the repairs on your irrigation system. I work for a roofing company, and our employees occasionally ruin or break something of the homeowner's. We ALWAYS have it replaced or repaired, totally at our expense. It wouldn't happen any other way! Word of mouth can be your best advertising tool, or your worst!

We had our spa delivered today by probably the most reputable dealer in our area. It went pretty well except ...

-- they were supposed to fill it, but they felt like leaving instead, so left me to do that (I muddled through)

-- they had a trainee (I guess) install the coverlifter ... and he drilled SEVEN extra holes (because at first he didn't understand where it mounted to the spa skirt). I now have seven extra, unsightly holes in my spa skirt

-- they were supposed to bring stain & scale preventer but they "forgot." They said I could add it later and they would send it, though the start-up guide clearly says it should be added before any other chemicals are added. So I drove 12 miles to get some.

-- they backed their trailer into an irrigation valve box, breaking it ... and drove off. I don't know whether they realized their mistake or not.

So, hey, we try to be easygoing, but after spending many thousands of dollars and the last three weekends doing my part to make this delivery easy (building a level pad, getting electrical done, etc.), we were a little, uh, unsatisfied.

So we called our salesperson, who told she would check into it. She did. She apologized for the problems and said we would get a call from Service about "correcting" the 7 lovely holes. I told her I probably wouldn't be satisfied with putty-filler. Not at these prices. She also offered us $25 coupon for supplies to make up for having to fill the spa myself. We'll take it!

Sure, we'll get over the 7 holes. But if we had bought the spa off the showroom floor with 7 extra holes in it -- even "repaired" -- we would have expected a significant discount. I'm not sure what the dealer is going to do, but surely am disappointed. If one of the installer crew was new, why the heck didn't someone supervise him? What are these people thinking?

In my business, when I make a mistake, I do what I have to do to make it right for the customer. I hope these folks will do the same.

If you were me, what would you ask for to "make it right?" Or are we just being babies about the 7 holes and the broken irrigation valve .... ?

Why do they have to sit there and watch the water fill. We drop off the tub instal what has to be installed and give a complete instruction kit for chemicals and they have the phone to call me if they have a question. If worse comes worst I will go to the house myself and give a more hands on approach. As for the panel, sometimes a dealer might use it as a temporary till they get one ordered. They may have possibly used it from the floor because they didn't have one the right color to sell to you at the time, but if that was the case they would of told you up front (delivery guys). Do not settle for puddy! I am sure they will make good with you and appoligize for the inconvienence. MAKE IT RIGHT!

:D

Guest sinker

:) As most of you predicted, the dealer has come through with a fix -- they're bringing me a brand new tub this afternoon. I had filled last night so now I'm learning how to drain ... but I have to say I'm pleased with the remedy.

And thanks for the perspective on filling not needing to be part of the delivery. Having seen how easy it was, I agree -- no need to keep those guys around.

I really appreciate the insights I get on this forum. Thanks all!

:) As most of you predicted, the dealer has come through with a fix -- they're bringing me a brand new tub this afternoon. I had filled last night so now I'm learning how to drain ... but I have to say I'm pleased with the remedy.

And thanks for the perspective on filling not needing to be part of the delivery. Having seen how easy it was, I agree -- no need to keep those guys around.

I really appreciate the insights I get on this forum. Thanks all!

;) That's great