Typical Spa Install Pitfalls?

Hi everyone!

Spa newbie here... We have just purchased a MasterSpa, but won't be getting it until electrical work's been done and even before that, 'til the ground unfreezes (live 40 miles north of Chicago- and it is seemingly the longest winter ever). Is there anything I'm missing, anything you slapped yourself on the head that you didn't think of before hand... we plan on putting it onto big square patio tiles, having a licensed electrician do the work, getting a permit from the village, etc.

And then, do I buy a "spa opening kit" or wing it? (We previously had an above ground pool for 7 years, so I know about pool water care, is spa water a large difference?). I haven't quite made the chlorine or bromine decision yet, but it seems like I could start with chlorine and switch to bromine if I wanted? And the ph upper/downer powdered chemicals from the pool... can they be used in the spa? Do you buy your chems online or in stores? I used to buy pool stuff from the catalogs, with an occassional run to the local pool store.

And finally, looking ahead, I'm trying to figure out some kind of privacy lattice thing, because the spot where the spa will be is kind of "out in the open" but I don't really want to be digging holes and pouring concrete... are there any free standing privacy type fences that work? My main concern with those is wind knocking them down. I also don't want a gazebo around it, because I love to look at the stars, so trying to find a happy medium.

Thanks for your help!

Teresa

A bunch of very good questions. If I have more time, I'll try to answer more, but for know I will simply say this: suits in the tub make you float and are a hassle to deal with when you get out. If you can arrange privacy, do it.

That said, know that privacy screens do blow over unless they are well fastened down. I know you said that you don't want to dig holes and pour concrete - you might want to go ahead and do it. Even ONE post at a corner is better than nothing. Dig the hole - or have somebody do it for you - put your post into the hole on a rock or some gravel, then wet the hole a bit and just pour a bag of concrete in it dry. Wiggle the post until it's plumb (straight up and down) and then wait. The concrete will set all by itself in a couple of days.

Then go for vinyl if you can. It costs about the same in some areas of the country, and it will outlast wood by a wide margin. Plus it is far less work to maintain, as in none, really.

HTH

B)

Hi everyone!

Spa newbie here... We have just purchased a MasterSpa, but won't be getting it until electrical work's been done and even before that, 'til the ground unfreezes (live 40 miles north of Chicago- and it is seemingly the longest winter ever). Is there anything I'm missing, anything you slapped yourself on the head that you didn't think of before hand... we plan on putting it onto big square patio tiles, having a licensed electrician do the work, getting a permit from the village, etc.

And then, do I buy a "spa opening kit" or wing it? (We previously had an above ground pool for 7 years, so I know about pool water care, is spa water a large difference?). I haven't quite made the chlorine or bromine decision yet, but it seems like I could start with chlorine and switch to bromine if I wanted? And the ph upper/downer powdered chemicals from the pool... can they be used in the spa? Do you buy your chems online or in stores? I used to buy pool stuff from the catalogs, with an occassional run to the local pool store.

And finally, looking ahead, I'm trying to figure out some kind of privacy lattice thing, because the spot where the spa will be is kind of "out in the open" but I don't really want to be digging holes and pouring concrete... are there any free standing privacy type fences that work? My main concern with those is wind knocking them down. I also don't want a gazebo around it, because I love to look at the stars, so trying to find a happy medium.

Thanks for your help!

Teresa

Hi. My humble thoughts about two of your questions....

Be very careful with patio tile installation. Need good foundation to prevent settling. Spa must be level.

Since wind is a factor, perhaps you'd want more wind blocking ability than just lattice. I'd consider installing solid fence section(s) with lattice top on one or two sides. I don't think it would cost that much more than quality free-standing screening and it would certainly last. If you have the yard space around spa, an alternative might be landscaping with evergreens.

Good luck making these difficult decisions! I'm awaiting my spa installation too.

Panthergirl,

My wife and I are looking for the privacy ideas also. We have found that most of the spa manufactures have a section on their web site for "backyard ideas" , "accessories" or "complements". Here are some from Sundance.

Good luck.........Sean

http://www.sundancespas.com/Accessories/Complements.html