Grow Up

Can't all that offer their advice in here just try to get along. Are we not here to help everyone out. To help we all have to listen, think and reply. Not yell, degrade etc. If I was not in the spa industry (knowing what a back stabbing market it can be!) I would not take anyones advice between being totally confused and looking at how the "professionals" tear each other up. Why should they trust any of us?

Did anyone else ever learn 2 heads are better than one, or live under the rules I was taught and teach my kids..."we should all learn something new everyday, if we don't the day was not very productive" Guess I am a bit "old school", but there is enough stress without having to be involved with fighting with people who don't even know each other.

Just my thought.... HAVE A GREAT DAY, RELAX & ENJOY YOUR HOT TUBS :D

I agree that we all need to relax and enjoy our tubs :)

I worry at times that boards like this fill up with a large number of "spa peddlers" who just want to preach the same oversimplified, perhaps controversial maintenance routine that they use to try and "close the deal" with impulse-buy customers that are nervous about maintenance becasue the really haven't done their homework before going shopping.

Making it sound utterly trivial and chemical free to maintain a spa is a great short-term sales technique, but it doesn't necessarily help the consumer to achieve the most pleasant and sanitary spa experience over time.

It seems like anyone who comes on this boasrd and recommends that spa owners use EPA approved sanitizers, at the levels required by health codes, and backs it up with scientifically sound reasoning and evidence is portrayed as an extremist who is not in tiouch with the current group-think of the sales force.

Everyone seems to want to believe that a tub with <1 ppm FC and >200 ppm CYA is perfectly safe and sanitary for a tubful of partying college students as long as there's a magic little yellow stick floating in the filter compartment and they're throwing in a capfull of MPS once ina a while.

There are some on here that give good advice that I trust, but they are repeatedly beaten down by people with simpler routines that "must be perfect because I did it and I haven't died yet."

The only advice on here that doesn't seem to generate controversy is the recommendation that people who don't want to test and adjust chemicals daily, should use a 3-part bromine system with a floater to maintain their spa.

Chlorine based systems generally require daily maintenance and generate controversy related to FC levels and/or CYA.

Baqua systems nothing but controversy

Low Chlorine systems based on Ions are also controversial.

On Monday my Spa-Pilot should arrive and by the middle of next week, I'll be offering up another variation on the chlorine theme for the board's consideration.

I don't think we can escape the controversy. We can't just group-hug and all agree to recommend that every spa be maintained the one single best way :)

We can choose to be respectful of one another. We can ask the moderators to help us eliminate self serving posters that stoop to personal attack and don't contribute anything positive.

We can expect to be civilized, but not that we'll all agree every time on everything.

Chris W

I agree that we all need to relax and enjoy our tubs :)

I worry at times that boards like this fill up with a large number of "spa peddlers" who just want to preach the same oversimplified, perhaps controversial maintenance routine that they use to try and "close the deal" with impulse-buy customers that are nervous about maintenance becasue the really haven't done their homework before going shopping.

Making it sound utterly trivial and chemical free to maintain a spa is a great short-term sales technique, but it doesn't necessarily help the consumer to achieve the most pleasant and sanitary spa experience over time.

It seems like anyone who comes on this boasrd and recommends that spa owners use EPA approved sanitizers, at the levels required by health codes, and backs it up with scientifically sound reasoning and evidence is portrayed as an extremist who is not in tiouch with the current group-think of the sales force.

Everyone seems to want to believe that a tub with <1 ppm FC and >200 ppm CYA is perfectly safe and sanitary for a tubful of partying college students as long as there's a magic little yellow stick floating in the filter compartment and they're throwing in a capfull of MPS once ina a while.

There are some on here that give good advice that I trust, but they are repeatedly beaten down by people with simpler routines that "must be perfect because I did it and I haven't died yet."

The only advice on here that doesn't seem to generate controversy is the recommendation that people who don't want to test and adjust chemicals daily, should use a 3-part bromine system with a floater to maintain their spa.

Chlorine based systems generally require daily maintenance and generate controversy related to FC levels and/or CYA.

Baqua systems nothing but controversy

Low Chlorine systems based on Ions are also controversial.

On Monday my Spa-Pilot should arrive and by the middle of next week, I'll be offering up another variation on the chlorine theme for the board's consideration.

I don't think we can escape the controversy. We can't just group-hug and all agree to recommend that every spa be maintained the one single best way :)

We can choose to be respectful of one another. We can ask the moderators to help us eliminate self serving posters that stoop to personal attack and don't contribute anything positive.

We can expect to be civilized, but not that we'll all agree every time on everything.

Chris W

I agree with you 100%. It is the persoanl attacks and bulled headed people that are making things difficult. We all have our thoughts, have seen different ways chemistry has affected different people etc. I suggest different chemicals systems to different people depending on what their spa use is going to be and what they are looking for. Heavy use spas, spas with kids use etc should not use Nature 2, people who want limited maintenence should not use chlorine and I just don't reccomend Baqa/biquinades. I personally started with bromine tabs, hated smell, problems with PH, switched to Nature 2 which I used for 4 years, really liked the system in many ways, but had issues with water clarity/dullness a couple of months in and had to di-chlor frequently. Now for the past 9 months I have been using Brilliance, totally chlorine free system. Have had no complaints at all. Very easy, no smell even though it is pure bromine (leads me to beleive that the awful "bromine" smell you get with traditional tabs is because it is mixed with chlorine) and it is fairly cost effective.

If everyone stopped back stabbing, then people could come on here, listen to all and decide what may work best with them instead of being really confused to who is the smartest and biggest bully and should only listen to them. Education takes many people......

Hi Hillbilly. Obviously, everything that you said is correct. I find this forum interesting and enjoy taking part in it. I have tried to offer information and personal experiences as well as learn from others. I was very hurt to be bullied and attacked by waterbear. I can't imagine for the life of me why he felt I deserved that. I will not respond to such behavior in the future, but I truely felt the need to defend my honor. I apologize if I offended anyone in that process. Logically, I know to ignore that kind of behavior, but emotionally it's hard when you are blindsided by such hatred. Never the less, there are other people here who's feelings should be respected, despite the fact that mine were hurt.

Chris, I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable hugging you until I know that your spa is properly sanitized. I don't want to catch anything that I could introduce into my spa. ;)

.....Chris, I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable hugging you until I know that your spa is properly sanitized. I don't want to catch anything that I could introduce into my spa. ;)

:lol::D:lol::D Thanks, most people would be more worried about the color fading from their swimsuit after using my spa if they saw the CYA and FC levels I commonly run :o

I'm just hoping that the Spa-pilot does for my tub what the Auto-pilot does for my pool :)

.....Chris, I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable hugging you until I know that your spa is properly sanitized. I don't want to catch anything that I could introduce into my spa. ;)

:lol::D:lol::D Thanks, most people would be more worried about the color fading from their swimsuit after using my spa if they saw the CYA and FC levels I commonly run :o

I'm just hoping that the Spa-pilot does for my tub what the Auto-pilot does for my pool :)

I can't wait to hear your experiences with the spa-pilot. What type of spa do you have? Do you have stainless steel escutcheons? I'm curious to see if the salt effects them in any way. You'll have to keep us up to date with your routine while using it. Is your unit the one that you take out of the tub while soaking and then pop back in when you get out? Thanks for being our guinea pig.

I can't wait to hear your experiences with the spa-pilot. What type of spa do you have? Do you have stainless steel escutcheons? I'm curious to see if the salt effects them in any way. You'll have to keep us up to date with your routine while using it. Is your unit the one that you take out of the tub while soaking and then pop back in when you get out? Thanks for being our guinea pig.

I received the Spa-Pilot yesterday! (Friday) I drained and re-filled both because it was due and because the instructiuons say to :) I added the start-up mix a few hours ago when the water got up to 80, verified the salt level, then started it up. Since my fill water was already showing 1.2 ppm FC, I set the unit at 50%. I'll try to get it dialed in ASAP and let you know how things go

Chris W