Hooking Up An Old Spa Purchased For $200.

We purchased an older spa for $200. (Wish that it had some type of manufaturing identification to see who made it.) This spa is large. It has a Spa Pac which looks like it is in good condition and includes the motor. It also has a blower that goes into the plumbing. We are currently fixing a broken pipe for the blower then we can fill and test everything out. Any advice on the right way to start it up? Is there anyway for me to test the motor and spa pac while I'm waiting for the glue to cure on the pipes? I am SOOO eager to get started and see how everything comes together and if they even work. Any ADVICE?!! THANKS!!

Any ADVICE?!! THANKS!!

1. Don't allow fumes from the PVC cement to get into the blower. That motor has open brushes which make a great ignition source for a really satisfying explosion.

2. Find out what the electrical demands are, and size your wiring according to the NEC. Ask an electrician for help on this if you need to.

3. Be sure you have a good ground going from the spa control box back to your main circuit breaker panel.

4. If the spa is not equipped with some sort of built-in GFI then add GFI protection. This is crucial to your continued existance. Your life, that is. You should ask an electrician about this if you are not 100% clear on how to properly provide GFI protection. The very least you should do is to put a GFI breaker somewhere - either in the main panel or in a sub panel between the main panel and the tub, but not right next to the tub.

5. Run four wires of the same size. Jacketed cable works, and I have seen hundreds of tubs installed with it (6/3w ground for example) but I would not put my family in a tub of water unless it is grounded the best way I know how - and that is four wires of equal size. Two hots, one neutral and one ground. On many tubs the neutral can be undersized, but you would need to know about the load for your equipment before you make that determination. An electrician can help make that call.

6. Do it safely.

7. Maybe just pay an electrician a small fee to come and lay it out, and then come back later to check how you did.

B)

just be absolutely sure it is GFCI protected. Do not apply power to it unless it is. It won't hurt to turn the pump on for a second just to see if it works. You may have to get the air out of the pump or pumps after filling, to do this just open up the discharge pipe going into the pump untill water comes out. Hope it all works out for you