In Ground Pool Finishes

AntFL

Hello,

We're getting ready to have our pool refinished, and was planning to do DiamondBrite, but we had some contractors recommend:

Magic-Technologies - http://www.magic-technologies.com/

and

Florida Gem Pool Finishes - http://www.floridastucco.com

Basically, all the contractors like DiamondBrite, but like these products as well because they are softer on your feet. Is DiamondBrite a better stronger product? Or are they all about the same? Price wise there would be no difference for me.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Ant

They are all similar premix products all basically consisting of Quartz aggregate and cement with other additives. They will all have a similar feel as well. Sometimes we plasterers are used to using a particular product because of price or it's just what our distributors happen to offer. Any of these finishes will work fine and perform similarly. I don't believe that Diamond Brite is any better, probably just more expensive. Your contractor should be willing to bend a little if you push hard enough and are willing to pay any price difference.

I'm a fan of Diamond Brite finishes. I have seen pools that are 10 years old and the finish looks like it did the day it was installed. Unfortunately the biggest concern with the Diamond Brite is that whoever does the work has to know what they are doing because of the need to acid wash the surface so the Quartz will be exposed. I have seen rookies wash out the surface when its not done properly.

decisions decisions... I'll most likely go with DiamondBrite as it seems to be the #1 choice and it's most commonly used today, but I'll be open about the others when I meet with them today...

The contractor we're going with did mention the surface needed to be acid washed, It's good to know that it really needs it. I did look at some of their work, he recently re-surfaced a public pool for the city... and it looks great. We also went to a residential home they recently did, and I happy with what I saw.

finishguy, what's the advantage of going with the finer (smaller) quartz?

Thanks everyone...

Anthony

decisions decisions... I'll most likely go with DiamondBrite as it seems to be the #1 choice and it's most commonly used today, but I'll be open about the others when I meet with them today...

The contractor we're going with did mention the surface needed to be acid washed, It's good to know that it really needs it. I did look at some of their work, he recently re-surfaced a public pool for the city... and it looks great. We also went to a residential home they recently did, and I happy with what I saw.

finishguy, what's the advantage of going with the finer (smaller) quartz?

Thanks everyone...

Anthony

The smaller quartz is a little smoother as the finish gets older. Look at super blue and compare it to aqua quartz. Your builder will have a box of small samples to show you. The smaller quartz is almost like powder and the bigger quartz is much bigger and sharper. You may not be able to tell its smoother by feeling the sample but you would if you had it in your hand out of the bag before it was mixed. The acid wash part is questionable. If you go with a color like super blue that has white cement, acid wash it. If you go with a color that has dye in it like black or dark blue, many guys dont acid wash it. Some guys know more than others when it comes to acid washing a pool with colored dye in it. Remember the cement thats in the pool, is the weekest part of your pool. When it starts to deteriate the quartz wont and you will feel it. Diamond Brite (SGM) has been around a while and is proven to be a great product, its a good choice to go with!!!!

we had no luck... LOL.

Yesterday afternoon we met with the contractor we decided to go with, and ended up walking out. We had a 3pm appointment which was supposed to be a 1-on-1 session. The thing that we liked about this contractor is that he has a showroom and when customers are ready to go to contract, he sets up an appointment with them in his showroom and he works with them to design their makeover. He really used his 1-on-1 design appointment as a selling point, more so then any other contractor we met with, which we liked and need. In several areas of their website it clearly states appointment are recommended if you want to discuss detail as their scheduled appointments come first...

His proposal was a considerable amount more then the others, but we were willing to pay because we felt their 1-on-1 attention during the design phase was very valuable to us... However we didn't feel we were getting that attention, so we decided to save that money and call the other contractor we were debating on, who also has a showroom for us to see their samples & design our makeover.

so... when we arrived we quickly decided on using DiamondBrite cool blue for the pools finish. He talked to us a little bit about pool tile and thought it would be a good idea to pick pavers for the patio first, then copping, then tile. Sounds fine to us...

We moved over to the paver room, and he quickly helps us narrow down our selection. His assistant came in and asked if he could take a few minutes away from us to talk to a walk-in customer just to answer a few questions...

My wife and I were completely fine with it as we were deciding on pavers... About 5 minutes later we decided on two similar pavers and were ready to move on. It didn't take long because we want a light color paver and the selection of light pavers were limited. We patiently waited a few minutes, then my wife walked into the tile room where our contractor was with the walk in customer, they were deep in conversation. My wife nicely tried to flag him to let him know we were ready... several more minutes goes by and the contractor is starting to talk to the walk in customer about others things, showing him different color schemes, etc...

needless to say, we waited 15 minutes after picking the two pavers and we could not get his attention, we tried several times, so we walked out. Maybe we were being a little unreasonable by walking out, but when we're about to spend $10,000 - $15,000 on a pool/patio makeover, and were promised a 1-on-1 appointment for design help... we just felt the walk-in wearing a suit became more important to him then my project and us wearing jeans & t-shirts. Oh well... we took our checkbook and we're moving on...

I would like to recommend anything by CLI http://www.clindustries.com/pool_finishes.html

Our installer is Nationally accredited and he recommends CLI Products above the competitions. Contact http://www.floridapoolpro.com/ to find a Pool Contractor by you that you can trust. Do not forget to do your Better Business Bureau research either.

CLI may be able to tell you who near you is a Certified Installer for their product. This is important for the warranty reasons.

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

My name is John Sparks. I have been plastering pools for about 11 years for several differentg contractors here in the central florida area. I have finally went out on my own and have started my own bisness. I am lincenced and insured have all paperwork, i do tile and interior finishes and I will promise to beat any written estimate if any one needs resurfacing or retile please contact me at (386-951-0022) or email me at jsparks1013@mail.com. Thank you very much for your business.

John Sparks LLC