Overhead Shelter?

candice

We just ordered a spa (Marquis Reward) and we need to start preparing the site. Started wondering if we should consider planning ahead for an overhead shelter of some sort. Maybe just a trellis type thing for more shade or perhaps a structure with roof (eventually!) for protection from elements (including caterpillar poop!). It would be nice to see the stars, etc. but also nice to take a soak and see/listen to the rain... but only get wet from the bottom up!

Do you veteran spa owners have to clean/maintain the spa cover at all?

Your ideas, thoughts, advice will be appreciated.

We just ordered a spa (Marquis Reward) and we need to start preparing the site. Started wondering if we should consider planning ahead for an overhead shelter of some sort. Maybe just a trellis type thing for more shade or perhaps a structure with roof (eventually!) for protection from elements (including caterpillar poop!). It would be nice to see the stars, etc. but also nice to take a soak and see/listen to the rain... but only get wet from the bottom up!

If you want to protect your spa, then understand what you might be protecting it from.

1. Constant sun can and will deteriorate the spa cover and possibly the spa exterior over time. While the spa will likely show little signs of aging in the short haul, the cover will definitely begin to age and likely need replacing within 3-4 years, UNLESS you perform good maintenance practices and keep the cover clean and treated with appropriate vinyl protectants. Just make sure the vinyl protectant you choose contains UV blocking.

2. Harsh Climates like extreme heat or cold, constant exposure to coastal moist air and constant wet ground. Depending on the tub, some are designed to handle constant exposure and some are not.

3. Privacy issues - If you have a situation where your tub is in full view of the neighbors and this discourages you from wanting to share all, then it is likely that some privacy surround would be a good idea. This can range from a minimal lattice panel on one or two sides up to a fully enclosed structure with roof, skylights, doors, etc. There are many good choices out there.

When it comes to choosing, I do not recommend structures that the primary material is synthetic plastic wood. This material is suitable for spa siding or decks that are fully supporting underneath. I have seen MANY spa surrounds and enclosures made from this material that very shortly begin to sag under the weight and simply fail over time. The best materials I have seen out there are either Redwood or Mahogany. Maybe there are some better designed units out there constructed of the plastic woods, but I have yet to see anything that would impress me for longevity over plain wood.

Some tub manufacturers have proprietary kits designed to fit on their tubs to create a nice enclosure without having to enlarge your deck to support the structure.

good luck with your spa...

I have a side mount umbrella that I love. I can swivel it around to get shade when I want it during the day as the sun moves, and can put it down to see the stars at night. BUT, my spa is also in a screened area, so you may need more protection than that.

Thanks! I'll internet search 'side mount umbrellas' and see what you're referring to. Not sure if I've ever seen one. Attaches to spa?

If you want to protect your spa, then understand what you might be protecting it from.

1. Constant sun can and will deteriorate the spa cover and possibly the spa exterior over time. While the spa will likely show little signs of aging in the short haul, the cover will definitely begin to age and likely need replacing within 3-4 years, UNLESS you perform good maintenance practices and keep the cover clean and treated with appropriate vinyl protectants. Just make sure the vinyl protectant you choose contains UV blocking.

2. Harsh Climates like extreme heat or cold, constant exposure to coastal moist air and constant wet ground. Depending on the tub, some are designed to handle constant exposure and some are not.

3. Privacy issues - If you have a situation where your tub is in full view of the neighbors and this discourages you from wanting to share all, then it is likely that some privacy surround would be a good idea. This can range from a minimal lattice panel on one or two sides up to a fully enclosed structure with roof, skylights, doors, etc. There are many good choices out there.

When it comes to choosing, I do not recommend structures that the primary material is synthetic plastic wood. This material is suitable for spa siding or decks that are fully supporting underneath. I have seen MANY spa surrounds and enclosures made from this material that very shortly begin to sag under the weight and simply fail over time. The best materials I have seen out there are either Redwood or Mahogany. Maybe there are some better designed units out there constructed of the plastic woods, but I have yet to see anything that would impress me for longevity over plain wood.

Some tub manufacturers have proprietary kits designed to fit on their tubs to create a nice enclosure without having to enlarge your deck to support the structure.

good luck with your spa...

Coastside--thanks for all the information. Fortunately, privacy is not an issue. As far as protection, I was thinking more of protecting myself.... from maintenance chores! Seems an overhead structure would be a good idea for both me and the spa!

The umbrella just has it's own stand, does not attach, but I do have to put a big brick paver to help with the weight. A 12x12 paver fits between the feet that are t-shaped, and it seems to be made for that. Here is a picture. It's not a great shot of the umbrella, but it should give you an idea. They sell them everywhere for between $200 and $300.

IMG_2446.jpg

Hi

Here is a link to a topic some of the pictures show our umbrella. It even has a rechargeable set of LED's in it, which I do not use that often. We mainly use the umbrella in the summer to shade us.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6903

Really wonderful pictures! The umbrella is such a great option for us too. Love it.

I see your last post about base that slips under spa. I found one on-line that does that, but they said you may have to drain spa to install base under it. Hmmm.

Your garden & spa area is very beautiful! Love the elevation change. Great design. I love looking at your progression pictures.

Thank you so much for sharing !!

The umbrella just has it's own stand, does not attach, but I do have to put a big brick paver to help with the weight. A 12x12 paver fits between the feet that are t-shaped, and it seems to be made for that. Here is a picture. It's not a great shot of the umbrella, but it should give you an idea. They sell them everywhere for between $200 and $300.

IMG_2446.jpg

ivie--Thank you for the great picture! I get the idea now......and really like it!

Your spa looks great. Super screened area you have!

We (my 2 kids and I) just got out of the spa. We were in it for 2 hours at 97 degrees. It is about 80 out today. We wouldn't have made it very long without the umbrella, plus I would have had to put sunscreen on the 2 year old, which I sure would not want in my tub! The best part is that it can swivel, and I do move it as the sun moves across the sky.

We have owned a Legacy Enterprise for a year now. We had the same thoughts of skylights. We built a deck for it(substantial as the tub holds 410 gallons), with screened walls and a solid framed roof. We still can install a skylight; but, to tell you the truth, it hasn't crossed our mind since. We did however need to treat the (treated) wood with a brand name water sealer as some surface fungus was forming on the rafters even with the screened porch. We have not had a problem since. Oh, do not forget your ground rod. We have thoroughly enjoyed our Hot Tub summer and winter.