Buying Used - Guide Lines Needed, Please

Kelly C.

I am looking for guidelines/tips for buying a used spa. Actually my husband's friend offered it to us for free, we just have to move it. I'm not sure of the age. It's been sitting empty with the cover on for 8 years. We've been told it needs a new heater. We can set up a time to see it, so what do I look for to tell if it is even worth the effort to haul it off? What is the average age of a spa? Are there problems that arise from leaving it empty for so long? Are new models more energy efficient to justify the cost of buying new? Thanks ahead of time for any help you have to offer.

I would advise against taking that spa. With it sitting that long there will be too much stuff to go wrong. The shell may even start to form blisters once its filled or it may already have blisters in the acrylic. IMO if you take this tub this little project may turn you off hot tubs for good since tubs like this usually make better planters then tubs. There's only so much you can fix on a tub before you say "when's it gonna end" or "enough is enough"

Tubs dont blister if cover is on. If anything, hopefully it was left with water(swampy if left for 8 years lol) Depends on quality of spa too. Most likely all components are dying. If shell, and plumbing is in fair shape, you can throw in a new pinnacle skid pack(new control box, heater, with jet pump).

Im not sure where you get your info on acrylic blisters but its false. I have serviced many tubs that were indoors that had developed blisters. If anything having the cover completely on will make it worse inside by creating condensation which can lead to fungus or mould if there is no ventilation.

I believe NSN is referring to Solar distress - something which happens when a tub is exposed to direct sun while empty. I think he's trying to make the point that you can't sunburn an empty tub with the cover on.

Plus, if you think about it, a tub which has been sitting empty is not likely to raise blisters from the normal delamination caused by osmotic pressure.

Your point is valid that some acrylic tubs will blister under normal use, even if not exposed to direct sun while empty.

B)

Thank-you for all of the advice. I did not have a good feeling when it was offered. There seems to be endless options when looking to buy a hot tub. Can anybody recommend a brand/model that is energy efficient (if that is possible), well made, brand and/or model for a couple with 1 child, and might have another couple over for a soak?