Problems With This Design?

Pool Novice

We will soon be looking to build a custom pool and I'm curious about my design.

We'll be building it in South Carolina and wanting to use it nearly year-round. My intention with the design is to accommodate every one's desired use of the pool; young grandkids, adult kids and us (of course).

Here's my list of questions:

1) Is this design possible?

2) Any gotchas unique to this design?

3) Is there any possibility in getting this done in fiberglass? (I know the answer is No, but I have to hope and wish) My hope was having it built in two halves, then married together on-site. Possible?

4) Is the length of the deep side long enough to use a recreational diving board? Just the little 5 or 6 footer.

pool.png

The 3' section slopes to meet the 5' depth just before the deep side connects to the main pool.

You'll notice the 2 inch lip along the bottom of the 5' area where is connects to the deep side. This is intended to keep kids who are swimming along the bottom from "wandering" into the deep side. I also plan to employ a heavy fabric to cordon off the deep side when little ones are in the pool. This 2 inch lip will be used (by some magic) to keep the fabric tight against the deep side opening.

We're also considering moving the deep side all the way down to the end of the 5' area, essentially creating an L pool design.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Moral Outrage?

I know a guy with a pool that is almost identical, he has not had any major problems with his. His pool did develop some decent cracks but that cannot be completely blamed on the design. Long pools do tend to crack more but just go liberaly on the rebar. Another problem might be that a pool sweep will not do the best job on that design and lastly, put plenty of returns in the pool, I would treat it like 3 different pools, dead spots in circulation will be a headache for years

The problem with this design that you have shown is the deep end is only 16' long. For safety reasons in a diving pool your break point should be 22', this is where the deep end begins to gradually get shallow. You could accomplish this by going with the L shape design you had mentioned. On a pool this size I would recommend a gunite pool. You will want to make sure they use 1/2" rebar on 5" x 10" centers and a 4 bar box beam with 1/2" rebar. You may want to consider helical piers as well depending on your soil conditions. Pools are priced by perimeter so you may want to consider rounding out those points, this will give you more swimming area at a lower cost. You may want to consider placing the deep end where you currently have it labeled 5' and then turn that 10' area into a shallow play area. By doing this you have a completely safe diving area/lap swimming area as well as a nice large play area. If you give me your email I can design some 3D renderings for you, no charge.