Polaris Cleaner Acting Weird

Stacey

I recently bought a house with inground pool. It came with a Polaris 360 or 380 but no paperwork and it can't seem to see any distinquishing marks on the unit. It does have boost pump associated with it.

Recently I notice my polaris was getting tangled up a lot and not really doing much action. When I pulled the unit out I there was a lot of water flowing Thrust Jet area. Upon a closer look I see where the plastic post that the thrust jet screws into is broken.

So I start investigating more....

The Polaris has one hose attached to a jet in the wall. Whenever the normal filter pump is running water is flowing out of the jet. When the booster pump turns on water comes shooting out of that jet. Now this is the same jet that Polaris is plugged into. From what I have been told in order for the Polaris to be working correctly the water should be flowing into that jet and returning back to the filter.

Is that true? If so is it possible for jet to somehow swith from an in-take jet to an out-going jet?

I'm a bit confused so it you have any questions pleasae let me know.

Sounds like you have a polaris 380 (possibly a 280) - the 360 does not use a booster pump.

That cleaner (280/380) is a pressure side cleaner, which means it operates on water returning to the pool. It is connected properly if the pressure increases when the booster pump is on. There are other cleaners, such as the kreepy krauly or navigator that operate on suction, but this is not one. If it is just one part that is broken, it would be worth repairing, as that is a quality cleaner.

You could (in theory) replumb the equipment so that you could use a suction side cleaner, but a return side cleaner is excellent.

Hope that helps!

I recently bought a house with inground pool. It came with a Polaris 360 or 380 but no paperwork and it can't seem to see any distinquishing marks on the unit. It does have boost pump associated with it.

Recently I notice my polaris was getting tangled up a lot and not really doing much action. When I pulled the unit out I there was a lot of water flowing Thrust Jet area. Upon a closer look I see where the plastic post that the thrust jet screws into is broken.

So I start investigating more....

The Polaris has one hose attached to a jet in the wall. Whenever the normal filter pump is running water is flowing out of the jet. When the booster pump turns on water comes shooting out of that jet. Now this is the same jet that Polaris is plugged into. From what I have been told in order for the Polaris to be working correctly the water should be flowing into that jet and returning back to the filter.

Is that true? If so is it possible for jet to somehow swith from an in-take jet to an out-going jet?

I'm a bit confused so it you have any questions pleasae let me know.

You have a pressure side pool sweep so that part is working fine. Your problem sounds like is only with the polaris itself. There are many things that can cause it to tangle and not work well, here are some common ones.

You will get wet doing this but with the pump for the polaris on pull the polaris out of the water and see if all the wheels are turning, if not there is a problem with it, and there are several things that could cause that.

Is the tail moving wildly? or just barely

Are any of your swivels spraying water out when running? do they swivel easily?

Is your wall screen in the fitting that plugs into the wall of the pool?

Do any of the wheels feel loose?

Is the hose on the polaris so long that it extends past the farthest point by more than a couple feet?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for your help. I am off to buy a new polaris.

send me the old one and I'll fix it....man i wish i had customers like you...I'd be rich off selling a new Polaris each time a wall fitting or float goes bad...club P points would accumulate and Polaris would be sending me to bermuda for vacation!! just playing though..you'd actually probably spend more money calling a tech out to fix it than trading up your old 380 for a new one...if you havent bought it yet...i'd switch to the 280, it'll plug right in place of your 380...i like em better than the 380's...no belts to break / adjust / replace = better for the average homeowner