Bullfrog Spas

Jack kuzi

I'm looking at a Bullfrog 331Spa but haven't wet tested one because there is no water in the model at the showroom. My wife and I need a smaller spa because of space and it'll just be the two of us using it. The size of this particular model fits our space pretty well but I do want a good spa. The Bullfrog is unique because of the jet packs which should reduce the chance of leaks when compared to other tubs. I haven't ownd a tub so I would like to hear from satisfied owners or users if possible. Do spas in general get occassional leaks? How often?

Thanks for any information. Jack

I'm looking at a Bullfrog 331Spa but haven't wet tested one because there is no water in the model at the showroom. My wife and I need a smaller spa because of space and it'll just be the two of us using it. The size of this particular model fits our space pretty well but I do want a good spa. The Bullfrog is unique because of the jet packs which should reduce the chance of leaks when compared to other tubs. I haven't ownd a tub so I would like to hear from satisfied owners or users if possible. Do spas in general get occassional leaks? How often?

Thanks for any information. Jack

First of all I am a tech for a Bullfrog dealer so I am sure can be considered bias. I also work on any spa that an owner might call in on. I feel that the jet packs offer mostly a leak free situation but more so if there are leaks they are easier to detect, find and correct. I feel the jet packs excel better in reducing plumbing, some efficiency qualities, and certainly some versatility and upgrade potential as time goes on. Study their website well when picking the jet packs you are interested in selecting or wet test the different packs. Don't always go with the "standard jetpacks". To me the whole point of the jetpacks is the opportunity to customize the spa to your desires rather than just go with the most "popular". Do they have any models for you to wet test? This gives you the opportunity to experience the different packs. For 08 they are going to change that model to a 231. 2 jet packs, 3 seats, one pump. Wet test a one pump spa and multiple jet packs an even if they don't have the one you want I think you should be able to make an educated purchase regarding a spa selection Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for replying jdw.

The 331 has 3 jet packs. Why would they reduce the number to 2 jet packs in 08? What would the 3rd seat be like without jets? Can't the single 4.8 hp pump power the three jet packs that are now included?

Is having only one motor a good thing or is it better to have a circulation pump?

I had just about decided to get serious with a Bullfrog 331 but I would definitely reconsider if the new model only has 2 jet packs.

Thanks again, Jack

they didnt reduce it to 2, they made another model in the 2 series with 2...reason being you dont need 3 jet packs in a two person spa and that reduces the cost and should improve the water pressure....so they have a 231 and a 331. I have not sat in that tub but have enjoyed the seating of the bullfrog spas and have been a big supporter of the brand for awhile now, and I see all brands

they didnt reduce it to 2, they made another model in the 2 series with 2...reason being you dont need 3 jet packs in a two person spa and that reduces the cost and should improve the water pressure....so they have a 231 and a 331. I have not sat in that tub but have enjoyed the seating of the bullfrog spas and have been a big supporter of the brand for awhile now, and I see all brands

That is correct about models and I apologise. The only reason to go with the three jet packs is it does give you extra to rotate around in the sequence and a bit more versatilty. Also the Series one has a more sophisticated control pad. Agree possibly better pressure. I don't feel there is a need for a circ pump since pump is not that noisey. One pump however has seemed to be more than enough for the customers I have serviced including thos who have opted for the largest jet pack(neck blaster) when there has been three jet packs. Final note as a tech I work on other more than I work on ours. They are not perfect but since dealing with them myself for the 4th year now I have had only one troublesome unit and coincidentally it was a recirculation pump concern. Last note I would like to add is I am not opposed to a circ pump just not totally convinced they are always what they are cracked up to be.

I'm kind of intrigued by Bullfrog, but the nearest dealer is waaaay too far away. Keep in mind, even with the jetpacks, they still cut holes in their shells. Foot jets are just one example. But I do like the ability to change around your spa therapy if you get bored. If there were a dealer closer, I'd probably wet test.

Thanks for all your input. It really helps. I think I like the Sundance Capri(but am worried about the hp of the jet pump around 2.0hp compared with Bullfrog 4.8). I also like the Hot Springs Jetsetter but not as much as Bullfrog or Capri.

I may make my final choice based on the size of the pumps since I don't want my jets to be underpowered. I sure do like the Capri though.

Thanks again, Jack

Jack, the bullfrog spa specs state it's up to 4.8 bhp and 2.5 continuous hp. It's a common thing that's used to confuse people when spa shopping. In reality, you are comparing a 2 hp motor to a 2.5 hp motor. If at all possible, wet test the two. Number of jets, placement and plumbing can effect the strength of the jets. Generally, because of the way they are plumbed, with the jetpacks, the bullfrog does not offer the type of powerful massage that other spas do. When we wet tested them, the dealer was very upfront about this. They did have some very enjoyable jetpacks though. When we wet tested, the Sundance spas had the most powerful therapy. It was actually too much for me. Good luck with your decision.

(but am worried about the hp of the jet pump around 2.0hp compared with Bullfrog 4.8).

As has been pointed out, this is false. Bullfrog does at least shows both specs on their website but if the salesperson is only quoting the BHP they are pulling a fast one as the BHP is a meaningless number to you. What matters is continuous HP and that is a 2.5 on the 331 (see their website for details). If you look at the Sundance website they list the Capri as having a 2.5 HP pump as well (2.0 hp if international).

Having said all that, it is a very common mistake to get caught up on specs. Spa design (and plumbing design specifically) is very important, not just the rating of a pump motor. Wet test these spas.

I hate this entire "salesperson pulling a fast one thing" Some sales people quote BHP some CHP....is it really anything but a number? I find the Sundance is more powerful, but only if you divert all the power to one seat...if you will be using the spa with more then one person the Bullfrog will probably be better, but the Capri is actually a rather weak spa if you distribute the power evently between the seats.

Not to mention for some reason Sundance has become a little too flashy, with all the new features being lighting and waterfall features not improving there below average sensor system or improving what might be the worst bottom in the industry with a stapled on abs sheet...I like Sundance for alot of things but they also need to pull there head out of you know what and get with the times...with the jetting changes Jacuzzi is bringing in I honestly am starting to believe Jacuzzi has passed Sundance by and Sundance is now going to be a nice looking spa with a good story but falling farther from the elite class they used to have. Which sucks because I would say 70% of the spas I have ever sold have been Sundances, and just because the way it fits me I would still probably buy a Cameo if I had to buy 1 spa with my own money...but I would know I could get something higher quality for less money. (Which is usually never the case)

I hate this entire "salesperson pulling a fast one thing" Some sales people quote BHP some CHP....is it really anything but a number?

I hate it too, its shameful. Any salesperson who has been on the job long enough to understand what is reality and only quotes BHP is purposefully giving the higher BS/Marketing number to try to make the customer think there is more HP than there really is. It is as close to lying as you can get while still being able to say you're not lying.

People get fooled by this constantly as we've seen by the countless people who come to this site and wonder why one spa has so much more HP. For every person who asks about this or figures it out themselves there are probably 4x as many who don't unearth the reality and sometimes buy because spa XXX has so much more HP!!!