Would The Last One Out Please Turn Off The Lights?

Chas

I am on my way to Camarillo, a community just south of Ventura. The Sundance dealer is closing up shop today, and for some reason he forgot to tell me. Or any of his customers. I want to see if he'll make me a deal on any of his display stuff, signs or whatnot.

Several customers have come in recently to buy spas from us because they didn't get good service there, and that is very unusual for that dealer, and that told us something was up. But today three or four folks came in to buy supplies and they all said that the Sundance folks were packing and moving and could not stop to sell them stuff.

So, for those of you keeping count, there is one spa dealer left in this whole area, not counting the Softub guy over in the industrial park who seems to do mostly online selling.

I am not gloating over this - these were good folks. It just shows that our economy has indeed slowed down. After 21 years of doing this, I have to say it has happened before. We sure are glad to have the customer base we have - and now we will welcome the Sundance owners of Ventura County to the family.

B)

Darwinian Congrats! You win... and it's no simple feat. Being a long term business is very complex, and 21 years (!) of sole ownership is equal to a dual PhD. in business... you da' MAN! I have had several rants on here about people claiming that spa DealerX worked them over on their $deal$, and it's a constant topic on here... "what's a good price range for..."? Looks like even giving great service is not enough. It may be said that the guy who just closed doors was perhaps too nice and maybe gave too good of a discount ...a business must be profitable in the long term. I mean he didn't give any of those customers a great deal if he didn't make enough money to stay in business and be around for warranty claim time... but I am oversimplifying.

The real profit margin for most things in the retail world are closely held secrets, but it has to be known that every dollar the small retailer gives you as a discount comes directly out of his pocket. If he does that too many times then he's toast. Spa sales must be very seasonal with fat times and lean times (summer/winter?) Add the cyclical nature of the economy ...you have a few slow summers and you're toast... hell one slow summer.

I think folks should cry like babies if they are NOT getting what they paid for, but I have lost patience for tears about how much profit so-and-so is making. Spas especially, are a luxury item and the market determines price... and survivability of Dealers. Somehow Chas I'd guess you weren't the cheapest guy to buy from, however I'd say all those people who therefore "paid too much" at your establishment are very likely glad you are still around when they need you. I think longevity constitutes proof of your fairness... and not how low you can drop your price. And I bet if you asked them if they'd like $500 bucks back each in exchange for you closing your doors too... well we both know they take back the $500 and curse your cheatin' name <hhah> but if they were smart and maybe thought about it differently ...like every time they bugged you for some free advice about their water quality, they'd say "Naah Chas, my man, YOU keep the $500..." ...and NO I am not a spa dealer, not even close... Sounds lonely at the top B)

<please send my free spa to P.O. box... [edited]>

<please send my free spa to P.O. box... [edited]>

I tryed that a long time ago Bo. Chas doesn't stay in business by giving away tubs apparently????

No problem. Your tubs are in the mail ...

wood-burning_hot_tub.jpg

"A Nice Guy" and funny too. I don't know what that is but I want one! It looks like Le Creuset has gotten into the spa manufacturing biz ;) I can't tell if that holds two cups or 400 gallons, but if it's 8' X 8' and can hold a couple of those man-made fireplace logs in that heat exchanger thingy, I'm sold!