Vinyl Versus Gunite In Nj

njpoolbuyer

We are considering an inground in a New Jersey shore area with sandy soil and a high water table. So far we have met with 2 builders, one from a national company selling gunite and the owner of a local company. National salesman says gunite with a DE filter is best for this type of ground. Local guy says exact opposite and recommends steel walled, vinyl liner with a sand filter. Local guy also says he sells gunite pools and will sell one to us but doesn't recommend it. Price difference is substantial as you would expect - 50K for gunite, 24K for vinyl. Local guy also says maintenance on gunite is much more over long run.

Any advice or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

What you need to do is talk to other pool owners in the area or talk to a couple more local contractors. In most cases I would side with the local builder since he's familiar with the area. Ask the local guy for references and pictures of installs in the area and ask the national guy for the same in your specific area. After that you will be able to decide whether you want to spend 30 or 60k.

P.S. you may want to have both quote for connecting your backwash line to your sanitary sewer & not storm sewer. New legislations are gonna start coming fast about no more backwashing into the street.

What you need to do is talk to other pool owners in the area or talk to a couple more local contractors. In most cases I would side with the local builder since he's familiar with the area. Ask the local guy for references and pictures of installs in the area and ask the national guy for the same in your specific area. After that you will be able to decide whether you want to spend 30 or 60k.

P.S. you may want to have both quote for connecting your backwash line to your sanitary sewer & not storm sewer. New legislations are gonna start coming fast about no more backwashing into the street.

Thanks for the advice.

I has the same problem 5 years ago I installed a 20x40 heated in ground vinyl foxx freeform pool

Cost was 25k VS 48K With the harsh winter weather in central NJ I do not see a reason install a gunite

pool. Its not worth the maint cost every 10 years to resurface The liner on a vinyl pool will last 15-20 years .

I researched fiberglass vinyl & gunite Vinyl is the beat investment for a pool located in NJ

Good Luck

I has the same problem 5 years ago I installed a 20x40 heated in ground vinyl foxx freeform pool

Cost was 25k VS 48K With the harsh winter weather in central NJ I do not see a reason install a gunite

pool. Its not worth the maint cost every 10 years to resurface The liner on a vinyl pool will last 15-20 years .

I researched fiberglass vinyl & gunite Vinyl is the beat investment for a pool located in NJ

Good Luck

Jackqit, Thanks for the note. We have decided to go vinyl. Additional fact - gunite salesman suggested i read the warranty for the vinyl pool claiming they were subject to shifting in the sandy soil. So i asked him for a copy of his warranty. His specifically excluded that whereas the vinyl warranty has no such exclusion for shifting. time will tell.

Good Luck

Jacket, Thanks for the note. We have decided to go vinyl. Additional fact - gunite salesman suggested i read the warranty for the vinyl pool claiming they were subject to shifting in the sandy soil. So i asked him for a copy of his warranty. His specifically excluded that whereas the vinyl warranty has no such exclusion for shifting. time will tell.

Having decided on a vinyl liner pool, I hope you included a cement/vermiculite bottom. The additional one-time cost, particularly in sand, is negligible compared to the cost of liner replacement.

Jacket, You are in for a very rude awakening if you truly believe a vinyl liner will last "15-20 years". Your first liner will last 10-12 years and all future liners will last 4-7 years. You should be careful when passing along a pool salesman's exaggerated claims because future pool buyers often rely of comments from established pool owners.

Please don't take offense, and contact me if you need clarification. CEO

Having decided on a vinyl liner pool, I hope you included a cement/vermiculite bottom. The additional one-time cost, particularly in sand, is negligible compared to the cost of liner replacement.

Jacket, You are in for a very rude awakening if you truly believe a vinyl liner will last "15-20 years". Your first liner will last 10-12 years and all future liners will last 4-7 years. You should be careful when passing along a pool salesman's exaggerated claims because future pool buyers often rely of comments from established pool owners.

Please don't take offense, and contact me if you need clarification. CEO

Nobody can tell how long a liner will last. I've seen 20 year old pools with original liners and replaced 2 year old liners. With proper care and maintenance they "should" last 10- 15 years. Do your homework there are alot of builders in new jersey some good and some not so good. Talk to friends a neighbors with pools. Just remember the cheapest isn't always the worst and the most expensive isn't always the best.