My First Tub!

Darth Stef

Hi my name is Stephane and this is my first post here. I really enjoy reading you guys! I live in Montreal Canada and we are looking for our first tub.

We went to local dealers to test tubs. Our final three choices are: Sundance Chelsee, Jacuzzi J-365 and Dynasty titan 4000. I want to know if somebody could gime me the good and bad things about those tubs.

French is my first language so don't flame me if i did some english mistakes! :)

Stef, we are not ignoring you, but there has been alot of heat in the last few days, just read some of the threads on top here. They are all about the real things behind buying a spa and important factors to consider. I do the same thing when I buy say a new digital camera or stereo and look for model comparisons and reviews to help me avoid "buyers remorse". Hot tubs seem to be a little more complicated, even more than buying a car, although closer to that than buying a new camera. What is good for one person is not good for another, just because we are all different physically.

The best advice would be buy a tub you can wet test, meaning you and he get in with bathing suits. You don't want to buy anything this expensive and not be happy and it seems there is NO other way to be sure. My advice would be pick someone who has been in business for awhile, that is an indication they understand the importance of building customer relationships and will be there when you need some help. After you wet test and narrow your choices you might get a granular response from the local gurus. Meanwhile read some of the topics below.

Hi my name is Stephane and this is my first post here. I really enjoy reading you guys! I live in Montreal Canada and we are looking for our first tub.

We went to local dealers to test tubs. Our final three choices are: Sundance Chelsee, Jacuzzi J-365 and Dynasty titan 4000. I want to know if somebody could gime me the good and bad things about those tubs.

French is my first language so don't flame me if i did some english mistakes! :)

If you live in canada there is only one spa to buy an Arctic Spa unless you want to spend at least $60.00 in electricity costs per month. They use the heat generated by the motors to heat the air inside the spa cabinet. that transfers through the shell and into the water. That is the most effctive way to heat the water without having a heater run several hours a day at 11 cents a kilowatt.

They also have a better cover that will retain heat better.

If you live in canada there is only one spa to buy an Arctic Spa unless you want to spend at least $60.00 in electricity costs per month. They use the heat generated by the motors to heat the air inside the spa cabinet. that transfers through the shell and into the water. That is the most effctive way to heat the water without having a heater run several hours a day at 11 cents a kilowatt.

They also have a better cover that will retain heat better.

Arctic is a well respected brand but to say they are the "only one spa to buy" is ridiculous. I understand their insualtion method and don't disagree that it works fine but so does Sundance and Jacuzzi (and others).

Stef,

Wet test the spas you mention and add Arctic or any other of the quality brands that may be in your area (Marquis, Hot Srpings, Beachcomber, Caldera, ...) but anyone who tells you to ignore the others because "this one is best" either owns that brand or sells it and while there is nothing wrong with loving a certain brand the use of the word "best" has no credibility.

It sounded to me as if they have wet tested tubs and are down to 3 choices. Since we weren't nearly that meticulous in our own shopping (but are happy as clams) I can't offer a whole lot of insight. If all are well-respected brands, I'd think you could let aesthetics, price and your wet test be guide -- and then don't second guess your decision and just enjoy!

BTW, I'll wager Darth Stef is a guy. Stephane, not Stephanie. ^_^

It sounded to me as if they have wet tested tubs and are down to 3 choices. Since we weren't nearly that meticulous in our own shopping (but are happy as clams) I can't offer a whole lot of insight. If all are well-respected brands, I'd think you could let aesthetics, price and your wet test be guide -- and then don't second guess your decision and just enjoy!

BTW, I'll wager Darth Stef is a guy. Stephane, not Stephanie. ^_^

You are correct Whoneedsavacation :)

Steph, you have narrowed down to a good selection. I'm curious to know if you have looked at or tried the Pacific Calypso. It does fall into same category at lower cost and you get a little more in my opinion.

I have that one with the Prestige package, it's awesome.

I live in Gatineau not far from you so as you know we have been experiencing some very low temperatures sense November, my Nov-Dec hydro bill has increased by 48$ that is approx. 24$ a month on this kind of weather and we have had some heavy bathing + a refill at - 8C.

I'm sure that any spa in your selection will not cost much more then what I am paying.

With this said we Canadians are not solely dependent on the Arctic spa as FREDERICKSBURG said. He must see us Canadians as Inuits living in the Arctic or he is a new salesman for Arctic Spas.

Steph, if I may suggest is that after wet testing and you narrowed down to, say four (in your case) go wet test again and you will see that you will easily eliminate some of those, making it easier to choose on the remaining ones if any. But as I said if you haven't tried the Calypso, do your self a favor and give it a shot.

Happy shopping

Steph, you have narrowed down to a good selection. I'm curious to know if you have looked at or tried the Pacific Calypso. It does fall into same category at lower cost and you get a little more in my opinion.

I live in Gatineau not far from you so as you know we have been experiencing some very low temperatures sense November, my Nov-Dec hydro bill has increased by 48$ that is approx. 24$ a month on this kind of weather and we have had some heavy bathing + a refill at - 8C.

I'm sure that any spa in your selection will not cost much more then what I am paying.

With this said we Canadians are not solely dependent on the Arctic spa as FREDERICKSBURG said. He must see us Canadians as Inuits living in the Arctic or he is a new salesman for Arctic Spas.

Steph, if I may suggest is that after wet testing and you narrowed down to, say four (in your case) go wet test again and you will see that you will easily eliminate some of those, making it easier to choose on the remaining ones if any. But as I said if you haven't tried the Calypso, do your self a favor and give it a shot.

Happy shopping

Thanx for the infos

We will try the Calypso tomorrow at Spas & cie in Brossard. The price tag is 10k + taxes $ it's a bit more than the J365 at 8k tx included but we will see if the dealer wants to negociate.....

Happy shopping

Thanx for the infos

We will try the Calypso tomorrow at Spas & cie in Brossard. The price tag is 10k + taxes $ it's a bit more than the J365 at 8k tx included but we will see if the dealer wants to negociate.....

10K must be for Power or Prestige package.

Keep in mind that in spring is when you will get a better deal on Spas due to lot volume from the dealers.

You should find the Pacific Calypso to have a very nice seatings, lots of power and quite.

We Canadians are fortunate to have this Canadian made readily available to us.

Please report back your findings, whether be negative or positive.

Happy testing, and have fun at it! Cheers,

Stephane, I'm in Montreal and purchased my spa last summer... I met with the Beachcomer and Artic Spa dealers and then settled on the Sundance Optima from Club Piscine on Boul Laurentide in Laval. I was able to negotiate a very good deal with a salesman who had 20 years of experience in the business - He was an excellent source of information. I chose the Sundance over the others because of peculiarities with my installation (space, noise) but all three dealers seemed to know their stuff. The delivery and installation was handled beautifully, especially considering that the spa had to be lifted onto a fourth story roof! Also, there was a problem with a leaky pump about one month after the installation and it was repaired with no hassles. As for the insulation issue, I don't think that you will notice that much of a difference in your heating bill for it to matter. Considering the very high price for Arctic spas in Canada, and the very low electricity costs in Quebec, it would take 30 years for you to make up the difference solely on this issue! Go for a soak and choose the dealer that you believe will give you the best service... B)

Happy shopping

Thanx for the infos

10K must be for Power or Prestige package.

Keep in mind that in spring is when you will get a better deal on Spas due to lot volume from the dealers.

You should find the Pacific Calypso to have a very nice seatings, lots of power and quite.

We Canadians are fortunate to have this Canadian made readily available to us.

Please report back your findings, whether be negative or positive.

Happy testing, and have fun at it! Cheers,

I went to see the Calypso but the seller didn't want to negociate much on the floor model...so 10k+tx is to much for my budget...Next saturday i have a meeting to wet test Coast spa Zenith.

If you are looking mainly at the J365 and a zenith from Coast, did you look at the Atlantis from the Pacific dealer? Its the same size range as the J365 and the Zenith. The Atlantis would be in your price range.

The dealer from pacific is supposed to call me back wednesday so i will ask for this model. Roughly how could it cost?

A base Atlantis - 1 pump 25 jets you should be able to get under 7k. You should be able to get a nicely equipped Atlantis for around 8

I haven't tested the Atlantic but looking at the seatings and jets it looks very similar to the Calypso. Too bad I was not able to try that one!

I agree with Pathfinder, not that I am pushing the make but simply bring awareness to the excellent package units that Pacific makes. If you budgeted in the 7-8k, I also would say that the Atlantic is worth considering a test. Actually I and others I'm sure would like to know your finding on both if you are able to try them both that is.

The Atlantic offer the same 5 package that is available in the Calypso so you can tailor the options to your needs and budget. That would apply to the other makes you mention too, I think.

So Steph, keep on testing and retest the two last choices is my best suggestion to you. What the heck it's free. Some people actually pay for a spas session. LOL

A base Atlantis - 1 pump 25 jets you should be able to get under 7k. You should be able to get a nicely equipped Atlantis for around 8

I haven't tested the Atlantic but looking at the seatings and jets it looks very similar to the Calypso. Too bad I was not able to try that one!

I agree with Pathfinder, not that I am pushing the make but simply bring awareness to the excellent package units that Pacific makes. If you budgeted in the 7-8k, I also would say that the Atlantic is worth considering a test. Actually I and others I'm sure would like to know your finding on both if you are able to try them both that is.

The Atlantic offer the same 5 package that is available in the Calypso so you can tailor the options to your needs and budget. That would apply to the other makes you mention too, I think.

So Steph, keep on testing and retest the two last choices is my best suggestion to you. What the heck it's free. Some people actually pay for a spas session. LOL

:lol:

Club Piscine offered me a 2005 Optima brand new in the crate with stereo for 8200$ including tx, gfi, lift.... and the same warranty. Is it a good deal? I hesitate since a 2007 optima retail for more than 10k and i know it is a top of the line spa from sundance.

Seems fishy to me, we are in 08 production year. Why havent they been able to move this particular Optima anywhere in Quebec or Ontario for 3 years. If that tub has been instock for 3 years it has already been written off as a loss and shouldnt cost anymore than 6k if indeed its new.

Seems fishy to me, we are in 08 production year. Why havent they been able to move this particular Optima anywhere in Quebec or Ontario for 3 years. If that tub has been instock for 3 years it has already been written off as a loss and shouldnt cost anymore than 6k if indeed its new.

The dealer from pacific-D1 never called me back so.......We tried Coast spa Zenith and it was to small and there was only one seats that fits me well. We tried yesterday a 2007 OPtima and it was really perfect. So i think we will go that way. At 9300 tx in with ozone and cover lifter, gfi, startup chems,... Do you think it's a good price?