Caldera Vs Hot Springs

JackVa1

We're trying to narrow the search down to a couple of tubs rather than try to get our arms around too many brands. We have good dealers nearby for both brands. There is a Master Spa nearby but I think they are not as good as these two.

We are interested in a good hot tub but it seems that if you want features, you have to go big even though we do not forsee sharing the tub with friends. Is that a correct assumption? Seems like a six person tub is the minumum for optimum therapy and water /light affects and a lounger.

Does anyone have an opinion of either of these being better than the other?

Thanks - I am comparing the Caldera Geneva with one of the Hot Springs like maybe the Vista or Sovergn.

we will soak test next week.

Jack

We're trying to narrow the search down to a couple of tubs rather than try to get our arms around too many brands. We have good dealers nearby for both brands. There is a Master Spa nearby but I think they are not as good as these two.

We are interested in a good hot tub but it seems that if you want features, you have to go big even though we do not forsee sharing the tub with friends. Is that a correct assumption? Seems like a six person tub is the minumum for optimum therapy and water /light affects and a lounger.

Does anyone have an opinion of either of these being better than the other?

Thanks - I am comparing the Caldera Geneva with one of the Hot Springs like maybe the Vista or Sovergn.

we will soak test next week.

Jack

Both brands are well thought of and you'll find owners of each on this site. as long as you're comfortable with either dealer I wouldn't worry much about which brand to buy but would concentrate more on which model is best for you.

If you're looking for spas with all the "features" and a lunge but don't need the size why would you go with the largest, Caldera Geneva and Hot Spring Vista? You can take one step down in size to the Caldera Tahitian or Moorea and the Hot Spring Envoy or Sovereign and get the features and therapy but not as large of a footprint. If you really don't expect more than a couple people you can continue to step it down in size but sometimes loose features like lighting and waterfalls.

When deciding how large of a spa to get, always look at the number of people they say the spa holds and subtract at least 1. If it is a 6-person spa per the brochure (or website) think of it really a 5-person spa (or more like 4 adults and one child).

I agree with you on the size thing. My wife and I are looking. 90% of the time, it will be just the 2 of us (although, now that friends hear that we're going to be buying one, they're all inviting themselves over). For variety of therapy, we found you need more seats. So, we're also looking at the biggest tubs.

Second, everyone I know that has a tub wishes they had bought a bigger one. So, it sounds like you can't go wrong with a big tub.

As for the brands, Caldera and Hot Springs are brother companies. They both make great tubs. Wet test whichever models you're interested in, and that will DEFINITELY help you make up your mind!

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks for the quick replies. This is very helpful information.

I just added the Marquis to the mix and after talking to the sales rep on the phone, he has got me interested because of this less maintenance 80 gallon per minute circulation thing they have. This furthers my confusion but I think from other posts I am reading that Marquis is right up there.

Thanks again guys.

Jack

JackVa1, Marquis is on my final list as well, but let me caution you about one thing. Sales people will try to tell you how their tub is better than others -- circulation pump versus none, and all sorts of other gimmics. I love how the Marquis feels, and I think everyone agrees they make a great tub. But seriously, if you look at the tub 8 or 10 hot tub makes, none of them is significantly cheaper to run or easier to maintain than the others. If one was, it would be selling tons more than the other. And although I think Watkings tubs (Hot Spring & Caldera) do sell the most, that's because they market a lot more and also make good tubs. HS, D1, Caldera, Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi and a few others are all great tubs. See what fits you the best and go from there.

I just added the Marquis to the mix and after talking to the sales rep on the phone, he has got me interested because of this less maintenance 80 gallon per minute circulation thing they have. This furthers my confusion but I think from other posts I am reading that Marquis is right up there.

Thanks again guys.

Jack

If you buy the Marquis do so because you wet tested it and preferred it over the other spas you tested. Don't buy it because the sales person convinced you there is less maintenance with his brand or whatever the story was. Their job is to sell spas (no matter what brand) and they all have a story but as long as it’s a quality product, put those stories in your back pocket and let the wet test be your guide. Marquis, Caldera and Hot Spring are all quality spas so assuming each dealer seems like they'll be good to do business with get your suit ready and find out which you prefer that way .

I will echo the parrot and the good Mr. Tech. The filtering on almost any spa on the market will do a fine job. The key to clean, clear water will come down you being consistent with your water care routine. Marquis are a wonderful spa. I have looked at many different makes the last few months and while I like things on some of the tubs as for soaking the Marquis with the HK 40 jets are tough to beat in my opinion. The combination of Hi Flow with low pressure makes for a great soak. But other makers do a very fine job as well, just find the one that you like best. Again I would not worry about filtering or ozone as most all spas on the market today will do a good job , with some being a bit better but not dramatically for water care.

I wanted a lounge until I wet tested. Then switched from the Geneva to Niagra, and I'm so glad I did. One thing I noticed, and this is just my opinion....no hate posts please.....I have had my spa for a month now, and cleaned the filter twice. I am SO GLAD I only clean one big one instead of 5 smaller (Hot Spring).

Thanks again guys.

Jack

If you buy the Marquis do so because you wet tested it and preferred it over the other spas you tested. Don't buy it because the sales person convinced you there is less maintenance with his brand or whatever the story was. Their job is to sell spas (no matter what brand) and they all have a story but as long as it’s a quality product, put those stories in your back pocket and let the wet test be your guide. Marquis, Caldera and Hot Spring are all quality spas so assuming each dealer seems like they'll be good to do business with get your suit ready and find out which you prefer that way .

Great Advice! I would go on price alone and don't believe their stories of the best deal offers they give you, do your homework and know before you buy what to pay. Call around and ask people here as you sure won't get a straight answer when you ask a simple question " how much" from the salesman! They all have a story and a different price, put them in your back pocket! :D

I wanted a lounge until I wet tested. Then switched from the Geneva to Niagra, and I'm so glad I did. One thing I noticed, and this is just my opinion....no hate posts please.....I have had my spa for a month now, and cleaned the filter twice. I am SO GLAD I only clean one big one instead of 5 smaller (Hot Spring).

Actually, with the HS you only have to clean the one filter most of the time. The others will go the four-month water-change cycle. However, if you use the tub heavily, it is nice to be able to simply rotate the filters.

And of with the Tri-X filters, you have 60 square feet on that one filter alone, and a total of 300 square feet in the system. More filter area generally means longer periods between cleaning.

All in all, I favor the HS system, having them side-by-side with other tubs makes it very obvious. But having lived with Tiger River and Caldera both, I will say that most brand-name tubs are pretty easy to live with.

B)

Great Advice! I would go on price alone and don't believe their stories of the best deal offers they give you, do your homework and know before you buy what to pay. Call around and ask people here as you sure won't get a straight answer when you ask a simple question " how much" from the salesman! They all have a story and a different price, put them in your back pocket! :D

... and that is some poor advice IMO. If you go on price alone you might as well buy the cheapest, low quality big box spa and that is just not a wise idea. Its all about value which starts with quality and includes other factors such as how well the spa fits (wet testing is key), price, warranty (not just he paper either but the odds that the warranty will be honored), etc.

Price is a factor to varying degrees for everyone but smart shoppers never go on price alone but many uneducated shoppers do and they later find how that is generally a very short sighted bad idea. I've seen sooo many people come on these spa web forums with the "I thought all spas were alike and bought a XXXXXX spa because it was cheaper and now realize you get what you pay for".

... and that is some poor advice IMO. If you go on price alone you might as well buy the cheapest, low quality big box spa and that is just not a wise idea. Its all about value which starts with quality and includes other factors such as how well the spa fits (wet testing is key), price, warranty (not just he paper either but the odds that the warranty will be honored), etc.

Price is a factor to varying degrees for everyone but smart shoppers never go on price alone but many uneducated shoppers do and they later find how that is generally a very short sighted bad idea. I've seen sooo many people come on these spa web forums with the "I thought all spas were alike and bought a XXXXXX spa because it was cheaper and now realize you get what you pay for".

Please Tech STOP....your making to much sense... ;) ....I mean are you forgetting the huge success of the Yugo's...Cars for under 4000 grand....The most popular car in the history of auto.....opps......they went out of business in just a few years.....Price no matter how low without quality in the end is usually a waste of good money.....I am seeing more makers come out with what you may call a value spa for those on a tight budget that still meets the standards that the manufacture has set for themselves....

Yep. Look at the poor woman who bought the Keys Spa from Home Depot on another thread today.

When a visitor talks about buying a J200 series Jacuzzi, a Tiger River step-down from Hot Spring, a C Series Caldera, or the lower featured tubs from any of the major players, you don't hear massive complaints about quality or service. Sure, they're giving up some of the bells and whistles, but they're still getting quality. And that manufacturer has made the buyer into a loyal customer who will most likely look at that make again when they're ready to step up into a higher end tub.

Yep. Look at the poor woman who bought the Keys Spa from Home Depot on another thread today.

When a visitor talks about buying a J200 series Jacuzzi, a Tiger River step-down from Hot Spring, a C Series Caldera, or the lower featured tubs from any of the major players, you don't hear massive complaints about quality or service. Sure, they're giving up some of the bells and whistles, but they're still getting quality. And that manufacturer has made the buyer into a loyal customer who will most likely look at that make again when they're ready to step up into a higher end tub.

Keep to the topic please. We are talking only two spas so price is the issue unless one is a lesser spa/ you guys are apiece of work!

Keep to the topic please. We are talking only two spas so price is the issue unless one is a lesser spa/ you guys are apiece of work!

We already answered the question. They're both high quality manufacturers.