Tiger River Leaky Drain Valve

lparsons

Hello

We emptied our Tiger River Bengal before Christmas, as we were planning to be away for over a week and didn't want to risk anything going bonk if our house lost power (and it was about that time anyways).

This tub has two valves (really just drains) that you are supposed to empty the water through when doing this. One "main" valve for the tub, and one "secondary" valve that presumably drains the plumbing.

When we returned, and filled and prepped the tub, I found that the "secondary" valve no longer seals correctly, and leaks water at a bothersome rate! We lose ~10% of our total tub volume over night. I took the valve cover off, and put it back on to see if it was either loose or not threaded correctly. This made no difference - it still leaks. At least 6 inches from the top of the tub is lost in water volume in an evening.

I tried calling the dealer, who was closed for new year's eve and day.

Has anyone encountered this before? Its frustrating to think of how much this is costing me to have that volume of warm water leak out, only to have to replace the water and wait for it to heat up again. I was considering trying some water sealant in the end of the cap? Obviously I need something that will allow me to still remove the cap later when I need to drain it next time.

The other cap is working perfectly.

thank you

Hello

We emptied our Tiger River Bengal before Christmas, as we were planning to be away for over a week and didn't want to risk anything going bonk if our house lost power (and it was about that time anyways).

This tub has two valves (really just drains) that you are supposed to empty the water through when doing this. One "main" valve for the tub, and one "secondary" valve that presumably drains the plumbing.

When we returned, and filled and prepped the tub, I found that the "secondary" valve no longer seals correctly, and leaks water at a bothersome rate! We lose ~10% of our total tub volume over night. I took the valve cover off, and put it back on to see if it was either loose or not threaded correctly. This made no difference - it still leaks. At least 6 inches from the top of the tub is lost in water volume in an evening.

I tried calling the dealer, who was closed for new year's eve and day.

Has anyone encountered this before? Its frustrating to think of how much this is costing me to have that volume of warm water leak out, only to have to replace the water and wait for it to heat up again. I was considering trying some water sealant in the end of the cap? Obviously I need something that will allow me to still remove the cap later when I need to drain it next time.

The other cap is working perfectly.

thank you

I would try Home Depot and see if they have a drain valve (with a ball valve) you can screw on the end. It'll stick out a couple inches but it should do the trick unless the issue is the threads on your current valve.

I would try Home Depot and see if they have a drain valve (with a ball valve) you can screw on the end. It'll stick out a couple inches but it should do the trick unless the issue is the threads on your current valve.

I should have thought of that sooner - I guess I was expecting more complicated solutions to hot tub problems! I went to the local big-box home-improvement store, and picked up what you suggested (for each spigot) and the leak stopped.

thanks!

I should have thought of that sooner - I guess I was expecting more complicated solutions to hot tub problems! I went to the local big-box home-improvement store, and picked up what you suggested (for each spigot) and the leak stopped.

thanks!

Don't worry, I overcomplicate things with regularity. Glad to hear it's fixed and you didn't even have to use duct tape.

I agree - you are not alone - I would say that a full ninety nine percent of all the calls we get reporting a 'leaking spa' end up being the drain caps or lost gaskets for same.

If you didn't already do so, I would pick up a spare drain cap and a bunch of gaskets to keep handy. The little caps are standard garden-hose items, and the gaskets do have the amazing tendancy to always drop out at night, or if they can drop into a crack which goes to the center of the planet.

B)

I agree - you are not alone - I would say that a full ninety nine percent of all the calls we get reporting a 'leaking spa' end up being the drain caps or lost gaskets for same.

It was pretty easy to spot the leak this time - we live in central NY, so the area around the tub that was lacking snow was where the leak was coming from :)

If you didn't already do so, I would pick up a spare drain cap and a bunch of gaskets to keep handy. The little caps are standard garden-hose items, and the gaskets do have the amazing tendancy to always drop out at night,

I should have thought to look for those while standing in the garden hose aisle. Good thing I'm at the friendly local big-box home-improvement store a couple times a week anyways...

or if they can drop into a crack which goes to the center of the planet.

I suspect I'll find many other missing items (car keys, flashlight, old pocketknife, my sanity ... etc) down there if I can ever figure out how to explore the depths of that damned crack...

if I can ever figure out how to explore the depths of that damned crack...

No problem! My brother in-law was born there....

B)

or if they can drop into a crack which goes to the center of the planet.

I suspect I'll find many other missing items (car keys, flashlight, old pocketknife, my sanity ... etc) down there if I can ever figure out how to explore the depths of that damned crack...

Don't forget the sock the washer/dryer seem to always take. It must have been the crack all along. :P