Location Quaestion

JackVa1

Hi,

New to the forum and getting ready to shop. Regarding location, we need some advice.

1. Lower level, under a porch, completly covererd with lighting overhead imbeded in a vinyl soffit sort ofthing - with view of our lake but no stars. This is ground level. On a solid brick paver and maybe 15 steps from our basement sliding door. There are square posts which do break up the view to the lake. Never would be exposed to rain or snow

2, On a multi level deck. Out the door of our main family room and down 15 steps. Still raised 6 steps from ground level.

Completle exposed to the elements. Some view of sky above and lake. This would take away half of our party deck which we use for large parties (once a year) but we have other options for parties.

Thanks, I am enjoying the forum .

Jack

Well, for certain you'd want someone to check out the structural integrity of your deck if you were going that route. Both sound like they're near a doorway, which is important. People can argue all day long on whether you want shielding from the elements or total ability to see the stars. That's completely subjective.

Hi,

New to the forum and getting ready to shop. Regarding location, we need some advice.

1. Lower level, under a porch, completly covererd with lighting overhead imbeded in a vinyl soffit sort ofthing - with view of our lake but no stars. This is ground level. On a solid brick paver and maybe 15 steps from our basement sliding door. There are square posts which do break up the view to the lake. Never would be exposed to rain or snow

2, On a multi level deck. Out the door of our main family room and down 15 steps. Still raised 6 steps from ground level.

Completle exposed to the elements. Some view of sky above and lake. This would take away half of our party deck which we use for large parties (once a year) but we have other options for parties.

Thanks, I am enjoying the forum .

Jack

We struggled with this decision as well - on the deck or on the ground below the deck. Both locations are close to an exterior door. We opted for under the deck for these reasons:

1. More privacy from the neighbor who lives behind us - we have leyland cypress planted around the back perimeter of the property whereas a spa on the first floor deck would be even with the neighbor's deck that is not completely blocked by the cypress. We were also able to put lattice panels between the 6X6 posts of the deck to create a windbreak and a privacy screen on 2 sides.

2. By putting the spa close to the outer edge of the deck, we are still able to see some stars. I must admit though that my eyes are usually closed when I'm soaking! :)

3. Since we have one of those white under-deck ceiling systems, we're not looking up at the joists and the underside of the deck boards and it allows us to use the spa even when it's pouring down rain (a big plus - it's pretty cool to be soaking with the rain coming down around you but not getting you wet).

4. The spa is not exposed to sun or weather which we figure has to help with extending the life of the cover.

5. By coming inside on the ground floor, wet feet and bathing suits drip on the painted concrete floor of my husband's workshop rather than on the hardwood floors of my sunroom which is adjacent to the first floor deck.

All in all, we are pleased with our decision but many will argue that it's better to be out in the open to see the moon and stars. Good luck with your decision!

Sandi

Under... you'll see less of the stars but more of the significant-other. Get your priorities right! ;-)

and yes the deck will be stressed with that much weight and would likely have to be reinforced. A third option is pour an additional pad in the yard and get creative with the landscape... maybe this summer. It would likely be cheaper to pour an additional 10 X 10' pad than reinforce your deck as that would include the contractor being liable for the implied guarantee that his reinforcing was in fact up to code/spec. I love looking at the stars but I am able to have both. Enjoy!

Our absolute favorite part of soaking is enjoying the beatiful stars. I'd give up my spa completely before I'd put it under a covering. Put some lounge chairs out in the different locations you are considering placing your spa. Take a few nights and sit outside in the chairs and see which location you enjoy spending time in the most. That's how we picked our spot and we are completely happy with it. Good Luck.