Newbie Needs Help W/ Jet Strength

LesGo5Oh

Hello all. This is my first post to this site. Before becoming a member I frequently browsed through other members' posts for information.....I have found this site to be extremely helpful, Kudos to all!!

Let me start off by explaining that I have inherited what I believe to be a "dinosaur" of a hot tub. I have a Circa late 90's 6-person fiberglass hot tub, made by Aquatic Industries. This will be my 2nd year as the owner. She's powered by an Acura brand 240v powerpack and a pressurized-type filter. After going for a dunk last night I came to the realization that the jets should be putting out more "umph" than they are.... WAY more. With the water pump on, there isn't even enough power to spin the rotating jets, nor automize any air bubbles into the output of the jet... You can barely tell they're on! I've already troubleshooted the filter which is not the problem. And yes, I've verified that the jets are actually in the "on" position.

What makes things even more confusing is that there is one jet in the hot tub, located under the lounger that shoots out over the footwell of the hot tub. This jet is extremely powerful. Unfortunately you can't sit anywhere in the hot tub to enjoy it!

Does anybody have any input, or ideas of what else I can check? It's not that I'm not enjoying my time in the tub, but if there is more to enjoy I don't want to be missing out.. Any thoughts or input would be extremely helpful. Go easy on the newbie!!

Thank you all.... :wacko:

No way to shut some of the jets off and leave others on? Then no diverter valve I guess, which would be up top where you could play with it.

Now it sounds like a blockage in the lines. What happens if you shut off the one jet that is still working? Does it increase the flow in the others? Are the other jets removable?

Try blocking the working one, remove the rest if you can, and see if you can get whatever is clogging up the works to blow out. That water has to go somewhere, but if everything is blocked up, the pump impeller just sits and spins. Otherwise, you may have to remove the pump and snake it out the other way.

Btw, don't feel too bad. I had a 1-1/2" rock sitting in my impeller. Tub runs much quieter without it. ;^)

No way to shut some of the jets off and leave others on? Then no diverter valve I guess, which would be up top where you could play with it.

Now it sounds like a blockage in the lines. What happens if you shut off the one jet that is still working? Does it increase the flow in the others? Are the other jets removable?

Try blocking the working one, remove the rest if you can, and see if you can get whatever is clogging up the works to blow out. That water has to go somewhere, but if everything is blocked up, the pump impeller just sits and spins. Otherwise, you may have to remove the pump and snake it out the other way.

Btw, don't feel too bad. I had a 1-1/2" rock sitting in my impeller. Tub runs much quieter without it. ;^)

Only way to shut off the jets is by turning the ring around the jet clockwise..... I believe the jets are removable but I'll have to double-check. I'll play with it tonight and keep you updated. Thanks for the help!

Ok, I found a diagram and modified it a bit to show whats going on here. The only powerful jet in the hot tub which I spoke of earlier appears to be the dedicated "ozone injection jet". The supply for this jet comes after the pump, and before the filter. Unless theres some sort of valve that I don't see, the only thing I can think of is some sort of blockage in the water jet manifold. I removed the filter entirely last night to verify there is no difference in jet pressure, and there isn't.......

Graphic1-3.jpg

Ok, I found a diagram and modified it a bit to show whats going on here. The only powerful jet in the hot tub which I spoke of earlier appears to be the dedicated "ozone injection jet". The supply for this jet comes after the pump, and before the filter. Unless theres some sort of valve that I don't see, the only thing I can think of is some sort of blockage in the water jet manifold. I removed the filter entirely last night to verify there is no difference in jet pressure, and there isn't.......

Graphic1-3.jpg

Do you have any air contrls on this jet that turn off/on the air to the jets? I wonder if there is a blackage in the line at the air control and you're only getting some air flowing and making the jet feel weaker.

So you pulled everything out of #5 and #6, ran it, and still no difference?

It's got to be down that line to the jets then. And since you say none of the other jets are putting out, I'd say it'll be between where the first jet is plumbed in to the main line and your filter. If you have a manifold where they all meet beforehand, bet the intake there is plugged.

Can you remove a jet and try to snake it out or back flush it with a hose?

btw, it could be between the ozone deal and the filter, but I assume you looked down the filter well with the pumps running and saw a good flow. Or got a face full of water. ;)

The one jet at the footwell is a whirlpool jet. When its on it cuts the power from the main jets for more of a hot tub experience.

There should be a valve that is variable to cut the power to it down or off completely therby sending more power to the wall jets..

I just pulled the filter out again and started the tub w/ the top of the filter housing off....I was very surprised to see how little of water was being pumped into the housing. Next I shut the gate valves on each end of the pump, and pulled the plumbing off the pump housing to inspect the inside of the pump. Everything appeared to be fine so I reconnected everything, and when I went to open the gate valve on the pressurized side of the pump the handle came off in my hand...

Is it possible this gate valve was previously stuck 1/4 to 1/2 way open, keeping the pump from pumping efficiently? The valve hasn't been touched in approx. 2 years...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the problem. That or I have really bad luck! By the way, its a 1.5hp motor. Maybe i'm just expecting too much out of this thing..... Guess I won't know until I can pick up a new gate valve from the spa store tomorrow. I'll keep everybody posted. Thank you all again for your helpful insight.

You must have a blockage at or around the filter. There may be a bypass valve in the bottom of the filter, designed to open and allow water to go past the filter when the filter is dirty, or any time the filter gets more water flow than it can filter. For some tubs, it opens any time the pump goes to high speed for jets, closes when the pump is on low speed for filter/heat. I would look to see if that little valve has failed and is blocking the outlet of the filter.

The valve you mentioned has to be put right if you haven't already.

Check to see if you have a diverter valve built into the big foot jet. There are jets made which incorporate a diverter: when you turn the face of the jet it changes the flow to the other jets.

HTH

B)

I just pulled the filter out again and started the tub w/ the top of the filter housing off....I was very surprised to see how little of water was being pumped into the housing. Next I shut the gate valves on each end of the pump, and pulled the plumbing off the pump housing to inspect the inside of the pump. Everything appeared to be fine so I reconnected everything, and when I went to open the gate valve on the pressurized side of the pump the handle came off in my hand...

Is it possible this gate valve was previously stuck 1/4 to 1/2 way open, keeping the pump from pumping efficiently? The valve hasn't been touched in approx. 2 years...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the problem. That or I have really bad luck! By the way, its a 1.5hp motor. Maybe i'm just expecting too much out of this thing..... Guess I won't know until I can pick up a new gate valve from the spa store tomorrow. I'll keep everybody posted. Thank you all again for your helpful insight.

That is a possibility. One of the gate valves on mine is plumbed so the T-handle was on top. Not really the right way to do it, as gravity and vibration would/could slowly work it closed. Split a length of plastic tubing lengthwise and slip it around the T-handle stem to lock it in the open position. Easily removable anytime you wish.

Hello all. This is my first post to this site.

I have found this site to be extremely helpful, Kudos to all!!

Thank you all....

I'm in "the same boat" he is ... pretty much.

Both a first timer here and in the tub, my problem's simuilar re: jet pressure.

I recently (as of 1 week) rehab'd an older unit and had strong pressure coming from my jets, strong enough that is to massage a hole rt through the sole of your foot.

Key word here is "had", that was until I relocated the heater box from ground level to upper waist high level.

I did this to be able to reach the box from the other side of the fence outside of the hot tub and in having to re-plum the pipes I added seven 90 degree turns and a few long striat pieces.

My question is by me doing this. is it possible that it decreased the jet pressure?

I've checked my hoses outside the tub for any kinks, found none.

So tonite, now after reading previous trouble shooting solutions I'm go'n to pull the filter out and run it as suggested.

I'll follow up w/ my findings and check back for your imput to my problem.

I have 3,760 post in a 3 year period on a boat forum, so you can be expecting many more from me.

And once I figure the format on post'n pic's, watch out :)

My problem's simuilar re: jet pressure.

I recently (as of 1 week) rehab'd an older unit and had strong pressure coming from my jets, strong enough that is to massage a hole rt through the sole of your foot.

Key word here is "had", that was until I relocated the heater box from ground level to upper waist high level.

I did this to be able to reach the box from the other side of the fence outside of the hot tub and in having to re-plum the pipes I added seven 90 degree turns and a few long striat pieces.

My question is by me doing this. is it possible that it decreased the jet pressure?

I've checked my hoses outside the tub for any kinks, found none.

So tonite, now after reading previous trouble shooting solutions I'm go'n to pull the filter out and run it as suggested.

I'll follow up w/ my findings and check back for your imput to my problem.

Follow up:

Just went outside, removed filter as suggested and turned Spa onto the (Jet / Heater position) 1st click position of 3.

Wife informed me, that the Jet's returned to previous "strong pressure" status, at which time I noticed that the tank pressure dropped to about 20 psi w/ filter out of the tank as compared to 30 w/ the filter inside the tank.

Why is this ?

Now another problem has occurred ..

Now the heater switches it's self off after only a few minutes of begin turned on.

I checked the circuit breakers and there all in the ON position, I'm confused ....

I jus' turned everything off - good nite

Yes, adding all those elbows will decrease pressure.

Thanks for the reply.

After reading some of the other post I followed the advice and bought a new filter for the Spa, weak jet pressure problem solved :D

Thanks ... may one day replace those 90's w/ flex tubing.